Stumped

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bking

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have an issue that there is no cause for that I can find. I have been having fish kills no reason. Water perimeters are in normal range. PH has always been a little high but still within acceptable limits. I have tested for Iron, Copper with zero for each and have a lead test coming in. Any ideas on what the issue is. I bet I have lost 5 to 6 hundred dollars of fish since I purchase this death trap of an aquarium. Any ideas on what the issue is?

Brenda

Last edited:
I do a 10% water change weekly and a 20% water change monthly on the 1st, i set my water out for 48 hr. before any changes. Up to this tank I have always had 10 gal, which i never had any trouble out of, but wanted a big variety of fish. On August 1 my water levels with Master Kit (New KIT Expiration 12/25)was as follows:
Water Temp: 78-80 Degrees
PH: 7.6
HPH: 7.4
Amon: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
That night (August 1st) my Green Killing Machine Tube went out and got up next morning 90% of my fish was dead. of the remaining 5 that was left one more died yesterday. I don't think the Green Killing Machine is the issue, because this is not the 1st fish kill that i have had with this tank. This makes about the 5th, each time following a 20% or better water change. I only have Tetras in this tank. And I understand that fish get sick, but not after water changes.
On August 22 I did water test for copper, the results as follows:

Hardness: 0
Chorine: 0
Alka: 6
Nitrate: 10
Iron: 0
Copper: 0

If I cant find a solution, then when i get down to the last 2 or 3 fish, I'm going to transfer them to my extra Betta Tank and get rid of this demon tank. I haven't done anymore water changes but have added water, about 2 gallons a week. It seems that the tank thrives with less changes.

Last edited:
Again. I would go back to the sticky and answer all the questions. What size of tank are we talking about? What type of fish? How many? What are the symptoms, or are there no syptoms?

You mention letting the water sit for 24 hours. Are you doing this instead of using a water conditioner? Chloramine wont offgas, so do you know if your water is chlorine or chloramine treated?

A few things i can say about what you have posted.

1. You are only changing miniscule amounts of water. 10% weekly water changes arent worth doing. Anything building up in the water is only being reduced by 10% with such a small water change, so over time anything toxic will build up.

2. Your water parameters make no sense. In a cycled tank you should see nitrate as the cycle takes fish waste (ammonia) and turns it into nitrate. In an uncycled tank you would see ammonia and/ or nitrite depending on where you are with your cycling process. You are reporting zeros across the board. This could be explained by big, regular water changes, but your small water changes wont explain this. I would get your water testing checked by a fish store.

3. You are saying zero hardness and 6 alkalinity. Is the hardness you are reporting general hardness (GH)? What are the units of the alkalinity? ppm or degrees. 6ppm alkalinity is very low, 6 degrees alkalinity is a good level to be at for most aquariums. Im going to assume the hardness is general and the alkalinity is degrees. This would suggest the water has gone through a water softener as a softener would remove the things that make up GH but leave behind what makes up alkalinity. The process to soften water involves removing calcium and magnesium and replacing it with sodium, and sodium isnt good for many freshwater fish. Some are ok with it and others arent. This might explain why you have no problems with other tanks but not with the fish you are trying to keep in this one. Do you know if your tap water goes through a water softener?

Last edited:
What's a green killing machine?

What symptoms do the fish show when dying or dead?
Do you have any pictures of the dead fish?

Are the fish dying after a water change?

How long has the tank been set up for?
How long have you had the fish?
What type of fish?
How long do the fish live for before dying?

What sort of filter is on the tank?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

Do you have separate buckets and hoses for water changes?

I only have Tetras and had 2 catfish. The Tetras seem fine, the catfish on the other hand would race up and down the side of the tank and then die a few days later. The tank is a Top Fin 29 gal and has been set up since 11-2022. I have had a couple algae blooms with the last one about 5 months ago. I have an under gravel filtration as well as a Top Fin Silenstream PF30 Power Filter 3 stage Filtration system that if for a 20-30 gal tank and filters up to 150 gals an hour. I have just 5 tetras now since the fish kill on or around the first, 1 Neon, 1 in, 1 Serpae Tetra 1 ½ in and not sure what kind of the other 2 tetras are, they are about 1in long. Before this fish kill I had about 20 plus catfish. The only thing new that I added was the AA Green Killing Machine about 5 months ago. I use Top Fin Color Enhancing Tropical Flakes, Expiration 11/27/2024. My last test dated August 1st or well as a water change of 10% water change which is about 3 gal plus the gal or so from evaporation and a 20% which is 6 gals plus the gal or so from evaporation. This group of fish I had I guess about 4 months. The results of last water test with Master Kit (New KIT Expiration 12/25) on the above was as follows:
Water Temp: 78-80 Degrees
PH: 7.6
HPH: 7.4
Amon: 0
Nitrate: 0
On august 22 I did a Drinking water Analysis kit which is a PPM test from LabTech with following results;
Total Hardness 0
Total Chlorine 0
Total Alkalinity 6
Nitrite 0+Nitrate 10
Iron 0
Copper 0

Aiken I do get my water test at Pet Smart as well as Petco periodically to make sure my test results are correct. As far as I know the City of Fayetteville don’t use a water softer. And I let my water set for 48 hrs. and I don’t use chemicals in my tank. I have found for the most part that they don’t work. And as far as the amount of water I change out and for the size of my tank and the amount of evaporation that I have, the type of filtration systems that I have in place, my water is clear with no odor until this morning, which now it smells fishy. And I do know how to test water. I have had tanks off and on since I was a little girl and my mom raised fish to sell to Woolsworth. I have never had a tank that has been this much trouble. The only thing I’m asking is, have any of ya’ll heard of a tank it self being toxic to fish. And if I cant get a answer then I’m done with this tank.

Unless you are prepared to start over, remove everything from the tank, start bare bottom, and see what happens, i dont think anyone can say whats wrong.

If there is nothing in the tank except water, equipment and fish and the fish similarly die, you know its something in the water, or something with the tank or equipment or you are just buying sick fish. If everything seems fine then you can start slowly adding your aquascape back in, if something triggers a die off you know what caused it.

Ive heard of aquarium builds using the wrong type of silicone. Ive heard of electrical faults with submerged equipment causing deaths. Ive heard of poor quality artificial decorations leaching toxins into the water. Similarly with substrate, driftwood and rocks.

If fish are dying with no symptoms or clues as to what they are, then my guess would be poisoning. All the tests in the world wont help if there is no test for whatever specifically is in the water.

Just as a clarification. I have the exact same UV as you and i cant see how it can be at fault beyond an electrical fault.

Do you use anything on your hands (perfume, moisturising cream, hand sanitiser, etc)?
Is anyone else doing stuff in the tank?

What colour gravel is in the tank?
Is the gravel glossy (have a shiny finish)?

Do you have chlorine or chloramine in your drinking water supply?
Your water company should be able to tell you this on the telephone or via their website.

Was the aquarium and everything in it new when you got it?

I have an issue that there is no cause for that I can find. I have been having fish kills no reason. Water perimeters are in normal range. PH has always been a little high but still within acceptable limits. I have tested for Iron, Copper with zero for each and have a lead test coming in. Any ideas on what the issue is. I bet I have lost 5 to 6 hundred dollars of fish since I purchase this death trap of an aquarium. Any ideas on what the issue is?

Brenda

Have you cycled your aquarium?

Back
Top Bottom