Help a Beginner please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In a FW set-up (without live plants), with average lighting (10 or so hours a day with a standard flourescent bulb), unless the tank gets sunlight, your tank should not have an algae problem if you are performing regular maintanence i.e. pwc s including gravel vaccuming, and an occasional glass cleaning with a mag float or similar device. That's my experience.
I do have 2 tanks that the sun hits; my 29 gal planted discus, and my 55 with fake plants. I never thought to put shrimp in my planted tank to help with algae, and thanks to you for the idea, I think I'll be investing in some :)
There are many different types of shrimp out there. I had a bamboo shrimp in my 55. He cleaned all my fake plants spotless!! They looked like brand new! And I loved him. He was awesome to watch. The bamboo shrimp do not have claws. They have "fan hands" that they extend to catch floating particles in the aquarium. They must be in an established aquarium in order to thrive. You said you have had yours for a couple years, so they should be fine in there. I've never had a problem with them attacking or eating other fish. Glass shrimp or ghost shrimp are harmless and will eat leftover food on the gravel. I'm not sure if they eat algae? They are usually sold as feeder fish and may get eaten. However, they are pretty inexpensive, and it wouldn't hurt to throw 2 or 3 of them in there and see how they get along with your other fish.
Beware of anything with claws!!! My LFS sold me a Blue Prawn about 3 years ago. They said he was a harmless addition to a community tank and will stay about 3-4 inches. They LIED!!! He ate 7 of my fish in 3 days. I caught him in the middle of the night with my blue guppy in his mouth. And he got HUGE! He's still alive and about 7 inches long. (I have a pic of him in my gallery) I think wood shrimp are the same as bamboo shrimp, but get a 2nd opinion on that. I have heard about cherry wood shrimp. They look like glass shrimp, but have color to them. I believe they are harmless as well. That's all I know about shrimp. Hopefully, others can chime in and give you additional feedback.
HTH :)

Thanks man. My tank does get sunlight and the algae i get is merely on my fake plant and my ceramic log. It's really quite difficult to get them clean and i thought that a shrimp or two might aid the situation and be something a little unusual too. I'll look into it.

Back
Top Bottom