Help:Aquarium with plants and a single betta fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wutdidyousay

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, I have a 50 gal that is owned by a bearded dragon but she will be moved soon into a larger tank. I would like to set up an aquarium with plants and the betta. I feel first I should find substrate, ferts, lights and then the plants so im ready for them. i would greatly appreciate some help with suggestions for all of these although Im not trying to spend a fortune, I do know what im getting into and I want to find the best products my budget can allow

*I owe an amazing tank to my betta for all that hes given me*

Im really serious. I want to grow plants and not have to deal with other fish just yet.

Last edited:
Just be careful. A lot of the time reptile tanks are thinner than aquariums and sometimes they can't hold the pressure of the water. Also be sure to very thoroughly disinfect the tank.

I personally would not use a tank for fish that had been used for a reptile, but people have done it before.

it would be a happy betta. what kind of plants do you plan on growing? i like how you have it ordered when it comes to what to get first, at least you're prepared. i would throw in one more factor: what kind of plants? some plants don't need anything while others are pretty demanding and those in-betweens. i would come up with a list of plants you want to grow. then get the substrates and ferts for those plants. you should also consider if you want to do CO2 injection. finally followed by proper lighting and then add the plants

How large of a betta tank do you want? It really depends on what size of tank you are trying to do. Getting a high light 55g is a lot more expensive than a high light 10g

You can also get away with dosing glut in any sort of planted tank which will save you a ton of money over pressurized co2.

+1 on Huiz's thoughts.

I would like to add though, that fish are one of the best plant fertilizers out there for a tank. It can be difficult to keep the plants healthy without that constant source of nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom