Help me put together the perfect luxury home for a Betta.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Brian_Nano12g said:
Perhaps adding a sponge prefilter can alleviate any concerns on an AC20.. That way if the Betta was just floating around being lazy, his fins won't get sucked in the intake. I had a Betta in my GLA 6g with an overkill Fluval 106 filter with the flow tamed down a bit, she did completely fine in there. After a day or two, she knew where the outflow was and didn't get pushed around by the current. I would have left her in this tank if it weren't for my original intended purpose of making this a shrimp tank with galaxy rasboras. But having her in there for a couple of weeks was a delight.

Link to sponge pre-filter:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K9A15G?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

That Sounds like a good idea.
The combination of a sponge and turning down the flow on an aquaclear should be enough

I ended up getting the S20. With the sponge, flow turned down and strategic plants, it will work. Worst case scenario I'll add "furniture" to protect the betta and, as a last resort, add a timer so it only works for (let's just say) 4 hours a day.

Just make sure that if you do only run it 4hrs a day, that it doesn't drain when turned off leaving your media dry. (The stuff inside the filter)
If it dries completely all the "beneficial bacteria" will die, and you'll have to re-cycle the tank.

Hello RC...
(...)

As for the substrate.. For planted tanks, sand is okay but a substrate that has a high CEC (Cation Exchange Capacity) like Eco-Complete or Floramax would be better. The high CEC means that the substrate absorbs ferts and fish waste that in turn supply the plants with the nutrients they need. I'm sure its more technical than that, but that's it in a nut shell. You can use the sand to still create like a beach or something (similar to my 6g project).

Got the Excell, but not really sure about the substrate. Unless you have a direct link or a picture of what you are suggesting, I might leave to buy it after the holidays, when I will have time to read more into it.

Thank you for all the help. So far, the MANSION is becoming a reality!

OK, quick update:

Tank, light, filtration with sponge and Excell purchased.

Still need the thermometer, heater and quality control/ water test kit (if you have recommendation for a good fresh water test kit, let me know).

Now comes the organic part. I really like grassy aquascapes like this one:

pg_1239c.jpg

Any help with names, providers or hints and tricks for the plants, that will be nice.

Also, I am just curious if the "black" background is a result of proper lighting during photography of if people are actually using something on one of the sides of the aquarium.

Rcguerra said:
OK, quick update:

Tank, light, filtration with sponge and Excell purchased.

Still need the thermometer, heater and quality control/ water test kit (if you have recommendation for a good fresh water test kit, let me know).

Now comes the organic part. I really like grassy aquascapes like this one:

Any help with names, providers or hints and tricks for the plants, that will be nice.

Also, I am just curious if the "black" background is a result of proper lighting during photography of if people are actually using something on one of the sides of the aquarium.

They sell black stick on backgrounds, (I used leftover black posterboard) and people also paint the back outside black or blue.
It hides the cords and I think it just looks nice.
I also like to let algae grow on only the back wall of my tank

The Eco-Complete substrate... I recommend using slopes to your advantage when laying down the substrate. For example, have a 2 inch depth in front of the tank, to a 3 to 4" depth in the back. Adding slopes adds more dimension and creates a nice illusion for nano tanks.
Amazon.com: CaribSea Eco-Complete 20-Pound Planted Aquarium, Black: Pet Supplies

**Note: Eco-Complete is a great substrate for planted tanks IMO. However, I think ADA Amazonia Aqua Soil is even better... that's if you want to spend the extra for it... other goods one are Fluval Stratum and UP Aqua Soil...
UP Aqua Soil Substrate | Green Leaf Aquariums

I like the Fluval Nano Thermometer... it's dirt cheap and very small (which I like in a nano)....
Amazon.com: Fluval Nano Thermometer: Pet Supplies

Here are my suggestions for plants... these are of course options among many and others can chime in for suggestions... Ultimately you can pick and choose depending on how you're envisioning this scape to be:

Foreground:

Since you're lighting is considered moderate (medium) without co2, you have some options here... since you're diggin' the grassy front, try some Dwarf Hair Grass as a carpeting plant. There's several species of DHG. I suggest getting the Eleocharis Parvula variety because it stays relatively compact and doesn't get too long as would Elocharis acicularis (unless you want long, that's fine too).
Info: Dwarf Hairgrass - Eleocharis parvula

Fore/Midground:

You can also use some Micro Swords in the forground area.. probably right up against some rocks behind the DHG would be a nice placement...
Info: Aquatic Plants for Freshwater Aquariums: Micro Sword Aquatic Plant

If not the Micro Swords or with the Micro Swords, you can try some Dwarf Sagittaria or Blyxa japonica...
Info: Aquatic Plants for Freshwater Aquariums: Dwarf Sagittaria
Info: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/details.php?id=123

Mid/Background:

Some suggestions off the top of my head that you can consider... The following would be nice of driftwood if you plan to get driftwood that is...Java Fern, Anubias Nana (or Petite or Micro), Mosses (such as Java, Christmas, Taiwanese, or Flame)...

Planted in the substrate... Cryptocoryne wendtii (aka: "crypts") would be a good option.
Info: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/details.php?id=71

Background:
Some Crypts get pretty tall so you can place them back there... or try some Amazon Swords.

**Note: For Crypts and Swords (maybe others), I suggest placing some root tabs under them in the substrate since these plants are heavy root feeders.
Amazon.com: Seachem Flourish Tabs 10 Count: Pet Supplies

Oh for the black background... I suggest getting the black background at Petsmart or Petco.. they sell it by the foot. You can use a product like Hagen background solution to put it on cleanly. I wouldn't spray paint the background if I were you because who knows, down the road you might have other plans for your tank and go all out with some Iwagumi scape with the glass lily pipes and all...LOL

Amazon.com: Hagen Marina Background Solution, 1-Ounce: Pet Supplies

Quick upgrade. Most hardware is here. Just need to complete my readings about plants to start planning the landscape.

Attachments

• image-640779605.jpg
    image-640779605.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 141
Looking good.. Is that the office it's going to be in? Can i see a close up shot of the tank? BTW, i have the same Yoda poster in my office...You have good taste my friend!

This is my office space at home. The new office is being painted/receiving new floors. The aquarium will only be assembled in January.

I'll take a picture of the tank when I get back home. I'm on EST, so that's about 4 hours from now.

Thank you for the comment about the poster. I am a big fan of Star Wars and actually happy with the Disney acquisition.

Sorryfor the delay, got sidetracked with relatives coming in for the holidays. Here are a few pictures, let me know if you want something specific.

Attachments

• image-2465305728.jpg
    image-2465305728.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 118
  • image-1674550999.jpg
    image-1674550999.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 113
  • image-3964675089.jpg
    image-3964675089.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 117
Heater arrived. I am planing on having it horizontam, behind sand "dune".

Attachments

• image-4270262021.jpg
    image-4270262021.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 130
I like the plan, especially being resourceful in utilizing your hardscape and flora to help conceal equipment. This tank has potential and will be a happy home for one lucky betta :)

Iam not a big fan of artificial stuff, but today I bumped into two pieces that mightwork for me, specially if I use them creatively instead of just placing them on a flat bottom. Here they are.

Attachments

• image-585353812.jpg
    image-585353812.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 117
And here one version with the foreground piece almost completely covere, and the second one significantly higher. Yellow fabric ilustrates white sand, brown fabric ilustrate black sand.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• image-2336623690.jpg
    image-2336623690.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 146
Back
Top Bottom