Help me put together the perfect luxury home for a Betta.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rcguerra said:
The first few images should have the smaller rock almost completely covered with sand. White paper=white sand.

Your welcome,its nice we can put pics up of our tanks up on here and as working progress :)
Where are you from Rc ?

I am originally from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. But after college I have been calling Central Florida home. Wow, that is...for the last...15 years.

Rcguerra said:
I am originally from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. But after college I have been calling Central Florida home. Wow, that is...for the last...15 years.

Ahhh right cool :) Hi to you in Florida,im in The UK born and bred :)

UK, uh? And here I am complaining of how cold our severe winter is. For the last 3 days it has been below 60!!! :)

Rcguerra said:
UK, uh? And here I am complaining of how cold our severe winter is. For the last 3 days it has been below 60!!! :)

Below 60 !! Ha ha actually it is over here too it is around 8 degrees here at moment,when we have double figures its mild in the winter that ;-)

Some ideas for the plants. Nothing written in stone, but this is pretty much it.

Attachments

• image-982499159.jpg
    image-982499159.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 72
I think your tank is going to look really good. Um, just want to second the whole "no shrimp with bettas" theme. My shrimp keep escapling into the bettas half and it may take him two or three bites for the bigger ones, but they do end up eaten.
You asked about preventing sand sliding.
TGM Aquatic Substrate Supports | The Green Machine
I saw these used in an aquascaping video, but I don't know if they are available in the States.

Just buy ghost shrimp, they're only around 50 cents and if he eats them then Oh well, it was a nice snack

Thank you Ownedbycats. The site does not have an image, but it does have a link to the video you mentioned. I believe I can buy sintra sheets (PVC flat sheets) and replicate the same results, even cutting them in different sizes!

Thank you so much!

Just buy ghost shrimp, they're only around 50 cents and if he eats them then Oh well, it was a nice snack

Unfortunately, there are some horror stories of US$50.00 Bettas dying from eating shrimp, getting bloated and just not making it. But you are right, I might try with some really small ghosts and see how it goes.

Rcguerra said:
Unfortunately, there are some horror stories of US$50.00 Bettas dying from eating shrimp, getting bloated and just not making it. But you are right, I might try with some really small ghosts and see how it goes.

Oh yeah I guess only try a couple then.

Substrate, rocks and plants combined. Just need a place for some red plants. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• image-1617492757.jpg
    image-1617492757.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 92
Substrate, rocks and plants combined. Just need a place for some red plants. Any suggestions?

Ive never had red plants,but ive seen pics of them in other tanks,they always compliment the green so aa a nice break from the green so i guess popping odd ones in between greens to make it interesting :)

I have been working with some local fresh water gardeners, and today I got a hold of a nice driftwood and some better rocks. I also learned the best options for the red plants based on my lighting. Can't wait to get the sand and start working on the 3D aspect of the landscape.

Attachments

• image-3620349054.jpg
    image-3620349054.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 85
The driftwood is about 6" long, wih a perfect little curve that will allow it to go from one plane to the other.

Attachments

• image-900612535.jpg
    image-900612535.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 96
I have been working with some local fresh water gardeners, and today I got a hold of a nice driftwood and some better rocks. I also learned the best options for the red plants based on my lighting. Can't wait to get the sand and start working on the 3D aspect of the landscape.

I have Mopani wood in my tank and i had to boil it for 16 hours and a lot of brown.tannin water came out of it,after a good boiling where it lightened up a bit eventually i think i soaked in cold water for about a week changing water everyday,i still leaches a small amount but im ok with that,just didn't want it darkish brown like it was when i 1st started boiling it,unless i was doing a south american biotope which i wasn't so i think you will have to do that with your wood at some point

The driftwood is about 6" long, wih a perfect little curve that will allow it to go from one plane to the other.

I was chatting with a Betta keeper on here the other day and i showed them my tank and she said he will enjoy exploring that because they like an interesting tank so that they do not get bored,and they like cave type structures :) i was pleased as like you because ive decided this time about a Betta i re-arranged my tank.its great you thinking about the lay out and everthing,i look forward to seeing it after following your thread :)

After playing for about an hour or so searching for Iwagumi aquascape cubes I believe the setup that I want will heavily rely on uneven topography and 2 contrasting sand types.

Something along these lines:

NowI will need help on how to make sure the sand doesn't slide and acually stays "3-D".

Any hints?

Just looking back and saw your question about the sand sliding,ive recently been watching the guy who has the Green Machine over in.the UK and he uses these partition things to hold sand up in place and once plants grow round them you can't see them have a look on on of his videos,they are brilliant.
www.thegreenmachine.com

Back
Top Bottom