Help on stocking 36 gallon bowfront!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EthanBeltramo

Aquarium Advice Freak
have a 36 aqueon bowfront with a fluval aqua clear 70. I plan on adding tons of plants and already have some driftwood in it. Please respond and leave some advice on stocking it. I don't want nano fish. I want something big like angel fish or gourami. I also plan on getting cories. I am buying my fish at petco (yes, I know the fish aren't as good) , but it is the only store that caries fish in my area. Please respond soon. Thanks

-Ethan

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Well, Petco doesn't really carry any nano fish anyways, so no worries there. :)
Angels or gourami would work fine. You could do a pair of angels and a dwarf gourami, or a 3 spot gourami (blue, gold, or opaline) gourami trio. But, you would have to be very careful about sexing them since it is not enough space for 2 males to coexist peacefully IMO. If you don't want a pair, you can try one of each. Keep in mind though angels are gouramis are hit or miss and it might not work out. For some people it is great, for others it is not. Depends on the individuals.
If you want to fill the middle space in the tank, I suggest something like cherry barbs, black neons, or harlequin rasboras. Though, there are tons of tetras that would out. Just avoid neons with angels.
I like rubberlip plecos a lot. They are less messy than something like a bristlenose and are good community citizens.
If you are able to order online, you would have a much larger selection. If that won't be an option, I would mostly suggest just going to the store and making a list of things you are interested in and saving it for later to research. If you have any other questions or specific things you are interested in, that would be easier for us to help with.

Ok. Want Angels and some cories

Can u make like an exact stock list of what to buy than. Thanks. Sorry but I am new to this.

2x angels
10x Harlequin Rasbora
6x Cory Cats
1x Bristlenose Pleco

All of these should be attainable at petco.

That will give you some nice centerpiece fish with the angels. A nice big school of very hardy active fish with the Harlequin Rasbora which will occupy the majority of the tank. Then the school of corys for the bottom along with the BN pleco to give a nice big presence on the bottom of the tank.

I would start with a small group of the smallest angels you can find. I would try for 4 - 6 if you can get them as juveniles and then keep an eye on them as they grow. You will notice 2 of them will pair up and stick together. Keep these two and rehome the rest.

If you don't want the harlies, find a different schooling fish around 2 inches that they have in stock. Avoid tiger barbs, but cherry barbs or gold barbs or gold barbs would be fine. Black neons, pristella tetra, bleeding heart tetra, or diamond tetra would be fine too.
I disagree about getting he smallest angels you can find. I would suggest getting the biggest ones you can find. Petco doesn't stock adults, and many store often only stock tiny little dime sized runts that are not very hardy. Also, for just a casual tank with no breeding purposes, I would just try any 2 angels and see how it goes. They will not necessarily fight, even if they are the same gender and then you have fewer re-homing issues since you are 2 hours away from a pet store that would have a tough time taking in many sub adult sized angels. The specifics are of course up to you though, so I suggest researching it a bit on your own to see what you are comfortable with in your situation.
Have you given thought to how you are going to cycle your tank?

Tank is cycled. And if they don't have any more Angels(last time they had none) (the most I've ever seen was one giant angel) how should I stock my tank with Angels

**gouramis or other fish, not Angels**

Just got back from petco. Luckily they had Angels so I got two. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom