Help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leofan123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have a ten gallon freshwater tank at the moment... And I'm fishless cycling it (it's been two months :/) and I was thinking about what to get in my tank. This is my thought:
5 neon tetra
2-3 otos
2 platies
I was wondering if otos or Cory catfish would be better in this community? And also, what is the best way to introduce my fish? I've heard after fishless cycling you can introduce them all on the same day? I've also heard otos are sensitive and so are neon tetra. I've had cories and I know they are sensitive, but I'm just wondering what the beat way to introduce all the fish would be? Also my aquarium's nitrite is extremely high and I've done a 50% water change and not added ammonia for about a week and a half but it is still really high. My nitrate has gone down a bit but nitrite isn't budging.

If you go to Aqadvisor.com and put in your tank size and filter you can choose the fish you want and it will tell you if it works or not.

What's your PH? PH drops are common in cycling and can cause stalls. HIgh nitrites for long periods can cause stalls as well. You'll want to start adding ammonia again or the bacteria are going to starve. Do a large water change (a full one) and wait a few hours and test nitrites again. If they are still high, do another water change; keep doing this until you can get them to something readable on the chart (<2). Then dose ammonia only to 2 and let's see what happens in 24 hours after that. Keep an eye on PH too.

What size tank is it? Knowing the tank size will help us figure out stocking.

The ph was 5.5 or 6 I believe so yeah there's a drop. My tank is a ten gallon. And thankyou! I was told on another thread to not add ammonia, so I'm glad I know I should! Will try and post later

A PH of 5.5.-6 would definitely stall things; the bacteria you want to grow won't multiply at a PH that low. Do as I said above with the water changes; assuming your tap's PH is higher than the tank it should bring the PH back up and try to get nitrites to something readable on the chart. Then only dose to 2 and let us know what happens a day after that.

Librarygirl covered the cycle. As mentioned a PH that low will stall your cycle, as will not feeding your bacteria.

As for the fish. You can add all of your fish at once when you've done a fish less cycle. In some cases it is better to stagger it if you have more aggressive fish. Going with the most peaceful fish first and working your way to the aggressive ones. This will help avoid an aggressive fish decided that it "owns" the tank.

Honestly I think your idea is too much for a 10 gallon. Corys are better suited for a 20, I would not do them in a 10 so stick with the shoal of otos.

It is debated but I personally don't feel like tetras are a good fit for a 10 gallon, there are far better suited fish out there. While small they are extremely active and IME do much better when given more room. I would drop them off the list or look into a nano fish like celestial pearl danios instead.

What sort of filtration do you have on the tank? Platy are little poop factories. If you want them I would probably just stick with 2 platy and the otos and this would most likely max out your tank. With Otos being so sensitive I wouldn't want to push your bioload too much because they will certainly feel it.

Ok well then maybe you could steer me in the right direction? I want some little schooling fish and then something to clean the tank (preferably otos) and then a main fish. Something really pretty and peaceful.

I agree with TamTam on the stocking. You could do a group of 6-8 nano fish like chili rasbora, celestial pearl danio or ember tetra. Or some endler's livebearers (similar to guppies but smaller). Least killfish is another option. For a centerpiece maybe a sparkling gourami or dwarf gourami (be careful, don't get anything larger like a honey or pearl, etc). A pair of scarlet badis would also work instead of the gourami.

Last edited:
Did a 80 or 90% water change. Tested couple hours later: nitrite: around 5ppm nitrate: around 70-80 ppm ph: around 7
Dosed ammo up to 2 ppm.
The fish you suggested aren't in the pet shop that is available to me to purchase fish. Dwarf gouramis are, so i can get my hands on 2-3 otos and a dwarf gourami, but what schooling fish (common) would u recommend?

There aren't too many schooling fish that can go in a 10; most need a lot of room to swim. Even though Neons are small they are active and should have at least a 20 gal to give them enough room; same for most tetras and danios. Maybe go to the LFS (visit a few if you have them near you), write down some fish you like and then ask here and we can see which ones might work.

+1 to Librarygirl. 10 gallons really limits the options for schooling fish. Sadly over all it's a limited tank size.

Zebra danio? Or if not that other fish to add something to the tank?

Zebra danio? Or if not that other fish to add something to the tank?

they need 20 at least. Mature size is 3 inches.

You could do a sparkling gourami, a couple endlers and the shoal of otos.

I would suggest you have added filtration just to be sure as IMO this would really be pushing the stocking limits of your tank.

Ok thank both of you so much! Sorry I'm asking so many questions, but I'm fascinated with fishkeeping and want to do the best with what I have. Last question... What order should I introduce them? I've heard gouramis are sometimes a little aggressive or territorial?

UPDATE: I tested the water today and the nitrite and nitrates are way up. The ammo is zero and the ph is 7. Another water change?

If nitrite are off the charts than I would do a water change to bring it down to readable and dose your ammo back up to about 2 after.

As for the DG they can be hit or miss for aggression. You could do a single in your tank. Some are very good tempered but some aren't. You typically don't want to put them with anything with flowy fins, like guppy. Provide a lot of cover/floating plants for them too. Another option would be a honey gourami. They are about the same size and more peaceful in general. I have a sunset(just a color variation) and he's a great community member.

UPDATE: I have been testing and everytime it shows up off the charts I do a big water change and dose it back up to 2. I've been doing this for a while, but everytime it goes off the charts.

UPDATE: I have been testing and everytime it shows up off the charts I do a big water change and dose it back up to 2. I've been doing this for a while, but everytime it goes off the charts.

That's normal; you're in the nitrite phase, they'll just keep rising. No need to keep doing water changes every time it hits 5+. Only when PH drops significantly or if nitrites have been really high for a week or so or ammonia drops start to stall. How long have your nitrites been high? The nitrite phase is the longest as it typically takes about 3 weeks before they fall. Just keep dosing and testing and post your results here.

Back
Top Bottom