Help with fish in cycling.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jyoung2014

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just got the API master test kit in the mail along with a bottle of seachem prime. I want to make sure i do this right and have a healthy aquarium. So i'm looking for step by step help. I just did my frist test after about a 40% water change. My water reads, ammonia-.5 nitrite-0ish and nitrate-5.0-10.0

What does this mean?! I think i have nitrates but i still have ammonia, where am i in the cycle?

By the way, in the tank right now are 4 zebra danios and it is a 33 gallon tank

I just got the API master test kit in the mail along with a bottle of seachem prime. I want to make sure i do this right and have a healthy aquarium. So i'm looking for step by step help. I just did my frist test after about a 40% water change. My water reads, ammonia-.5 nitrite-0ish and nitrate-5.0-10.0

What does this mean?! I think i have nitrates but i still have ammonia, where am i in the cycle?

Right now I am trying to cycle tank as well. I heave several opinions from this site on cycling your tank. The manager at the LFS Allfish emporium told me to stop water changes. He said to keep an eye on the fish and the ammonia levels. He said the Good bacteria need something to feed on and if u keep doing water changes then you won't cycle. I stopped doing water changes and my ammonia has gone from .5 to 1 back to .5 and my nitrites are at 2.0 and nitrates at 10. I am no expert at all but since I stopped the water changes the Nitrites have spiked.

Hello JY...

Cycling a tank with some hardy fish is the traditional method and Zebra Danios are some of the toughest as far as being able to survive the "nitrogen cycle". The waste the fish produce starts the cycle. Daily testing for ammonia and nitrite will alert you if a partial water change is needed. Partial means "a part", so you want to remove only enough water to make things somewhat safe for the fish. This is why you use hardy fish, they'll survive the poorer water conditions. You want to keep enough of the ammonia and nitrite in the water to nourish the bacteria that will make less frequent water changes possible. The little bugs that use the nitrogen for food will reproduce and make the water safe for the fish. If you remove too much water, you'll take away the food for your bugs and possibly delay the cycling process. I'd recommend keeping the water changes to about 25 percent. This keeps the fish somewhat happy and gives the little bacteria a steady food source. The cycle usually takes 4 weeks or a bit longer.

B

How long exactly has this cycle been going on? It seems you either just started or just finished.

Hello lb...

Your LFS person is partly right. But, you'll need to test the tank water daily. If you have a trace of either ammonia or nitrite, then do a partial water change. No more than 25 to 30 percent of the tank will keep the chemistry somewhat safe for your fish and still provide a steady diet for the good bacteria.

Get some floating plants into the tank too. Drop some sprigs of Anacharis and Pennywort into the tank. These plants are natural water filters and help the cycling process. The fish will feel more comfortable in the tank if you have some plants in there.

B

Fishperson, i've had the fish in for a week and a half

Where can i get some of those plants? Does petco sell them?

Hello lb...

Your LFS person is partly right. But, you'll need to test the tank water daily. If you have a trace of either ammonia or nitrite, then do a partial water change. No more than 25 to 30 percent of the tank will keep the chemistry somewhat safe for your fish and still provide a steady diet for the good bacteria.

Get some floating plants into the tank too. Drop some sprigs of Anacharis and Pennywort into the tank. These plants are natural water filters and help the cycling process. The fish will feel more comfortable in the tank if you have some plants in there.

B

Here are my current parameters

Attachments

• image-719161519.jpg
    image-719161519.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 61
My parameters....

Attachments

• image-2525900965.jpg
    image-2525900965.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 49
Here are mine.... Water is going crazy

Attachments

• image-2357222420.jpg
    image-2357222420.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 46
This is more dificult than i expected... What i would do for a fully cycled healthy tank haha

Back
Top Bottom