High Ammonia, and Nitrite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fox1

Aquarium Advice Regular
Sorry this may be a little long, the problem has quite the story behind it. I am new to fish and I got my first fish tank. I currently have a 10 gallon tank. I have had it for about 2 and a half weeks. I made a stupid choice by not doing the nitrogen cycle, I did not know about it at the time I got the tank.:banghead: I got 4 goldfish. Yes I know there to small for that size tank. I got them so I could get the tank started and see what happened. The first week was fine and my test strips had nothing out of the norm. So I decided to get 4 melini cory catfish to go along with my goldfish. I cleaned the tank the next day and I noticed that one of my goldfish had these black marks on it, which I immediately thought were ammonia burns. If that what is was I don't know, so I decided to go get the API Master test and I tested the water the next day. The measurements for both nitrite and ammonia are the strongest the color can go. So I quickly put some ammo lock in. I did some research and it sounds like I have New Tank Syndrome. Does this sound right? I thought to myself that I need to get these goldfish out because they are producing to much, so I put them in my pond. I am doing every other day water changes and putting in API quick start each time, obviously I put in Tetra Aqua safe to dechloranate the water. The nitrate went to a safe level but the Nitrite and Ammonia are still of the charts. I think that my cory catfish are feeling it because they don't eat and just lay at the bottom and SOMETIMES move.:confused: I don't know if this is normal or not. I don't know what else to do. I will do anything to keep those fish alive in that tank. Any ideas how to keep the levels down. Also I think its way to early to for the fish-in nitrogen cycle for these levels of ammonia and nitrite to be peaking, but I could be wrong. Once again any ideas on what might big going wrong would be greatly appreciated. Also sorry for the long message. I just don't want my fish to die. :thanks:

Hi, welcome to the forum. Good choices to shift the goldfish out and get the API master kit. Various products will lock the ammonia for a day or so but it's really water changes to reduce the levels. The good news is your tank is small for doing water changes.

Have you tested the tap water for all readings to get a base line? Also have you checked the tank ph? Below ph6.5 the bacteria will slow down.

Last one is can you re-home some of the remaining fish anywhere until the tank is better established?

I have not tested the tap water but I know that where I live, we have very hard water. For regular ph on the master test kit, it is 7.6+ and then on the high range ph is is about 8.0 to 8.2. I do not have any other fish tank to re home the fish un till it gets better. I was thinking about going and buying a filter and putting them in a large tub aware or plastic box. I dont know if that a good idea but if it works I'll do it. Like I said, I don't want those fish to die.

Sometimes tap water can contain ammonia so just thought to ask. Assuming all is well there then a larger temporary tank will dilute ammonia production as it sounds like you are already thinking and water changes for the rest. Also products like seachem prime that detoxify ammonia are well worthwhile.

A link on ammonia vs ph toxicity fyi.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/your-guide-to-ammonia-toxicity-159994.html

So, it turns out unfortunately, that my tap water has a ammonia reading of 1.0 to 2.0. What am I going to do now? Will I have to buy a special type of water? Is there some product I can buy that gets rid of it, or will I have to use something like prime or ammo-lock?

Last edited by a moderator:
My tap water also has high levels of ammonia like yours. Once your tank is cycled it will not be a problem but you need a product that will detoxify ammonia. I recommend Seachem Prime since it a dechlorinator also and is highly concentrated (1ml will treat 10gallons), just add at every water change and you will be fine. I add enough to treat the my whole tank volume even though I only change 25% weekly, not sure if this is correct but I figured better safe than sorry.

Thank you guys, this information helped, I am going to buy Prime tomorrow and starting using that, and going to hope for the best on the cycle and the life of my fish.

Back
Top Bottom