High KH and Nitrates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Closetcreep

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank was fine last week, had all the water parameters right except for the PH and water hardness a bit high. I wasn't too concerned about it since guppies seem to do well in these conditions but for the past 3 days I noticed the KH and Nitrates to get higher. I did 10% water change and it seems to stay the same. What can I do to lower them?

Nitrates are expected to increase over time. Water changes should help with that.

As for your KH, something in your gravel or decor must be contributing to it. What do you have in your tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a high quality gravel, a flame moss, 2 moss balls, 3 drift wood pieces and a tree trunk fake decoration

Does not seem like any of this should contribute to your KH rising. I'd suggest a larger water change, even up to 50% to get the nitrates down to a low level. Monitor KH and if it happens again, then revisit to see what could be causing it.

I once had high quality gravel and it was the source of the problem. I suggest you toss some in a container with low KH and test of it climbs.

Back
Top Bottom