High nitrites, rising nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishieguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK, my FW tank (my first tank, 10G) is almost a month old and after weeks of not seeing any change in water quality, my nitrites have suddenly spiked and my nitrates are definitely climbing.

I still find it hard to accurately read my test strips (yeah, I'll be moving to the drops soon), but it looks like my nitrites are in the 3.0-4.0 range and my nitrates are in the 20-40 range. pH level is neutral and alkalinity is low. There are bouts of slight cloudiness and diatoms are taking over the tank (see earlier message x2).

I've been faithfully doing water changes, as well as replacing evaporated water. I have two platies and they seem to be fine (knock on wood).

So, my question: Is this still a normal phase in the cycle or should I be concerned? Should I be doing anything differently?

That sounds right, but you need to keep the nitrite lower for the fish. Water changes will help, as will salt and increased aeration with a lowered water level for splashing or an air stone.

I'll bet you will have another week or two of this and then you will be done. Don't do any gravel vacs or filter cleanings, or otherwise "clean" anything. Keep on truckin'! :D

For the diatoms, should I add an Oto now or should I wait until the tank has cycled? I've heard they can be fragile. Also, why kind of bioload to they impose on the tank?

Definitely wait until the tank is more mature, maybe 3-4 months even, before adding otocinclus cats. They do not impose a huge bioload, but they do poop a lot, since they are almost constantly eating.

This is the final step in the cycle of a tank. From here on out the Nitrites should drop and the Nitrates will always climb. Water changes are the only way to keep Nitrate climb under control. Welcome to the world of a cycled tank.

I think it happened! Yesterday I tested the water and my nitrites dropped to nearly undetectable. My nitrates are holding steady at about 20. Could this be the sign of a cycled tank? :?:

Congrate! From my experience and what I've read, Nitrites 0 good. Nitrates 20 a little on the high side: some enthusiasts would freak while others would just start to begin water changes. I'd do one more water change, let that sit a couple days and retest. Important thing to remember with a 10g tank is that any fish is a major addition. Try taking it slow with adding fish, one at a time with a week or so in between.

So whats the first new fish gonna be?

I'd suspect you were cycled - congratulations! I agree that with a 10gal when you add fish it will be easy to overload your bacterial filter and start a cycle again, and it will take a period of months for the tank to become "mature" and more stable as the bacteria multiply.

Well, that's a good question. Being that I'm new, I'm going to stay away from the exotic or hard to care for. Being that the tank is 10G, I won't be adding a lot. I'm thinking about a couple scenarios:

1. Keeping it all platies. A good local pet store has several different kinds.
2. A few bleeding heart tetras.
3. Guppies. A small school.
4. Neon tetras. A small school.

Maybe add an Oto a little later.

I'm open to suggestions. Anyone? Don't be shy. ;)

My aquarium heart belongs to Angels. :) Blue Rams are close behind. A small school of guppies will results in a large school of guppies. Not sure about the neons. They would look cool in a school, but not sure how easily the reproduce. I'm guessing not very easily since I had 10 at one time and didn't see any babies.... or else I'm terrible at getting fish to reproduce, which I could be. :)

If you got all males, a bunch of guppies would make a lovely display in a 10-gal, and no overpopulation issues. You could do the same with neons, but in general guppies are going to be hardier.

Thanks, everyone. Looks like I might do some light fish shopping this weekend. (I know, I know, add 'em slowly.) :D

Back
Top Bottom