Hikari goldfish staple not tasty?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GEOlson

Aquarium Advice Regular
Last night I had to run out to Petco to get pima & mela fix for what I have decided it white skin. While I was at the store I decided to get a bag of Hikari Goldfish Staple. So I medicated the tank and shorty after I fed them the new food. It didn't look like they cared for it. They would suck it in and then spit it back out. But unlike I've observed with other fish, they didn't suck it in again for another piece. Thy treated it like it was a piece of gravel. Has anyon ese had goldfish that didn't like Hikari Staple? Have my fish gotten too spoiled from Omega pelletd and flakes? I know sometimes they don't eat when they're not feeling well, but they've not shown any signs of not wanting to eat.

Thanks in advance.

They may simply be too stressed to eat, especially a new food.

IMO Hikari Staple is not the best option. IME New Life Spectrum is by far the best brand out there. It is the only thing I feed my fancy goldfish.

Melafix and Pimafix are both great meds. Water changes are vital when fish are stressed. In many cases they are the only thing that is needed.

What size tank?
How many goldfish?
How large are they?
What is the usual water change schedule?
What is the nitrate concentration?

Right now:

29 gal with 2 AC50 HOB filters
2 comets (med), 4 fancies (2 fantails (med), 2 black moor (1 med, 1 sm)
30% water change once a week, twice if the brown algae builds on the sides faster.
Not sure on Nitrate at the moment.

When I first bought them the LFS said 4-6 would be okay for 29 gallons...They also said Zebra Nerites wouldn't reproduce unless in brackish water (which they did; in non-brackish water, mind you). :banghead: I know they're a bit much for 29 gallons, but they will be getting moved to a bigger home shortly. I'll be setting up a 75 gal in the near future. I considered a 40 breeder at one point, but I like the idea of 75 better. I don't know of a better footprint at that price point. I certainly don't have the means to do 100 gallons. Between space and the weight of the aquarium, as much as I'd love to.

Anyway, the 2 comets and 2 fantails have been doing really well so far. I've had them for a few months, water is always quite clear with minor algae. So I heeded the advice of my LFS and added 2 small black moors. One died 1 week later and the LFS replaced it (water tested fine - that was 9 days ago) with a black moor 2x the size (so like 1.5" not including tail). I don't think it's helping that the weather is a bit warm again this week, but at least today should be the warmest day of the week.

I think it would be a good idea to set my 10 gal tank up (sitting empty under the 29) as a sump, but I'm not quite sure how that works so I'm going to find some sites on it.

Thanks for you help.

You are overstocked. Stocking has everything to do with water changes, but only to a point. The basic guide for fancy goldfish is 20 gallons for one and an additional 10 gallons per additional goldfish. This only puts two in a 29. With enough water changes you could stretch it to three, but definitely not six. They hit fist size.

Comets, and any other long-bodied goldfish, should not be in a 29. I would say a 125 minimum because they are so large and active, they can be over a foot long. The 75 would be fine for fancies, but you need to find the comets a more appropriate home.

You need a nitrate test kit. The API liquid kit is the usual. Don't go by 'fine' from the LFS.

I agree that you are overstocked. I have 2 fancies in my 29 and still have to do water changes almost twice a week to keep my level in check. They're little poop machines that need a lot of space to grow and thrive.

Up until recently the detritus removed from the gravel vac has been minimal. I don't know if it's the filters or those particular fish, but it seemed contrary to everything I had read.

You may be getting away with it for now, but without a nitrate kit we can't know for sure and it won't last forever. As they get bigger (body along can hit baseball size with fancies) it will definitely become an issue.

My friend said he will take my Comets. He has Commons in a pond. I was wondering if plastic plants are too scratchy for goldfish. I don't know the "names" of the plants, but I was wondering if the "Hownwort" type might be scratching them when they swim past.

Thanks for your help.

I have never seen that happen. Silk plants are popular too, and look very natural.

I have live plants in my tank. IME if they are fed the right food they do not crave anything in the plants. My goldfish are fed New Life Spectrum exclusively.

I do think that right now your main and only priority (besides lots of water changes) is getting the 75 up and running so they can be upgraded.

Here is a video of my tank:

Back
Top Bottom