Hope for new aquarists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khuligirl93

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just wanted to show the progression of my planted 10g tank to encourage anyone who is considering starting a planted tank but thinks it might be too difficult or time consuming :)

So I've had this tank among others for about 5 years but had always gone the plastic route. Just recently learned about the benefits to the fish and water quality that real plants can provide, creating a more natural miniature ecosystem. I emptied the tank of its plastic decor and gaudy blue rocks and started with one bag of flora max for a simple substrate. Next I got driftwood from petco and a few live plants and this is what it looked like:
image-268802994.jpg
Very disappointed and frustrated, I wondered why I couldn't get my tank to look like the perfect aquascapes I had researched. I trimmed and I rearranged, trying hopelessly to make it look better. I did more and more research, and gradually became aware of the mistakes I was making. After adding pressurized CO2 and upgrading my light, a month later I had this:
image-549037855.jpg
And after 2 more months of being patient, doing regular water changes, and simply dosing flourish comprehensive weekly, I ended up with this:
image-1899135957.jpg
It's not anything spectacular, but after all the work that went into it I am proud just the same. For anyone who is feeling discouraged about a planted tank- don't give up! Patience is the key. It IS possible to have a beautiful tank without complicated fertilizers and multiple expensive light fixtures! If I can do it, you can do it :)

Looks great! Glad you made the switch -- once you go live plants you never go back. :) What sort of equipment are you running?

Thanks! yea i cant even imagine why i ever wanted plastic plants now!
I have paintball canister pressurized CO2 that's on a timer with the lights, a HOB 20g filter, and a finnex ray 2 light fixture.

Wow, what a progression! Currently my planted tank makes your first pic look like a planted paradise but I'm determined to make it work.

Thanks for the pics :)

Sarah X

Just wanted to show the progression of my planted 10g tank to encourage anyone who is considering starting a planted tank but thinks it might be too difficult or time consuming :)

So I've had this tank among others for about 5 years but had always gone the plastic route. Just recently learned about the benefits to the fish and water quality that real plants can provide, creating a more natural miniature ecosystem. I emptied the tank of its plastic decor and gaudy blue rocks and started with one bag of flora max for a simple substrate. Next I got driftwood from petco and a few live plants and this is what it looked like:
View attachment 191555
Very disappointed and frustrated, I wondered why I couldn't get my tank to look like the perfect aquascapes I had researched. I trimmed and I rearranged, trying hopelessly to make it look better. I did more and more research, and gradually became aware of the mistakes I was making. After adding pressurized CO2 and upgrading my light, a month later I had this:
View attachment 191559
And after 2 more months of being patient, doing regular water changes, and simply dosing flourish comprehensive weekly, I ended up with this:
View attachment 191560
It's not anything spectacular, but after all the work that went into it I am proud just the same. For anyone who is feeling discouraged about a planted tank- don't give up! Patience is the key. It IS possible to have a beautiful tank without complicated fertilizers and multiple expensive light fixtures! If I can do it, you can do it :)

I really like it, especially the 3rd picture. It's really good, even though it is not heavily planted. (I have noticed that the more plants in a tank, in general, the better the tank looks). But I really like it, and I am glad you posted this because I haven't even started my 10g that will be planted, and I am alread feeling overwhelmed!

Sadly, I'm having nothing but trouble with my planted 10g. Yours makes mine look like crap :banghead:

Oh well. At least my planted 55 is going swimmingly :fish2:

If you want suggestions on how to make it better, I have some. If you don't, then that's okay too. Just tell me if you want to know.

If you want suggestions on how to make it better, I have some. If you don't, then that's okay too. Just tell me if you want to know.

I know what the main problems are. Flow is my most major problem because detrius is settling on the leaves since i have to turn down the flow verrrry low for my betta's sake. I'm looking into a canister filter for that. After that then my light spectrum is the next big problem with the tank. I need to add some different lights to my DIY led. When those 2 things are taken care of then everything should hopefully fall into place.

Sure, I'm open to suggestions! I'm thinking about adding a carpet plant and possibly something red- how does that sound? I also have a bunch of new rocks and DW I've collected off the beach so I have a lot of options! I just don't want to mess it up and make it worse haha

I know what the main problems are. Flow is my most major problem because detrius is settling on the leaves since i have to turn down the flow verrrry low for my betta's sake. I'm looking into a canister filter for that. After that then my light spectrum is the next big problem with the tank. I need to add some different lights to my DIY led. When those 2 things are taken care of then everything should hopefully fall into place.

I was actually talking about the op's aqua scape...

I am just getting back in to this and I just have no clue what the CO2 does or how to use it. Mine always did really well, once I figured out that my oscar and my plants didn't get along. He kept up rooting them and moving them! So I moved them permantly in to my 20g!

I found that the addition of CO2 (DIY) made the biggest difference so far in my planted tank. I was running a dual T5 NO fixture for 3 months and the plants were so-so (actually almost all melted and some never came back). I switched to an LED (Finnex FugeRay) and ran than for about 6 weeks and there was a definite improvement. Then I added the CO2 (feeds into one of the HOB filter intakes) and the plants took off. Also use Seachem Flourish and Excel plus root tabs.

Yes, some reds would be nice. You could add Crypt wendtii red (looks more like dull brick red/orange); low light easy to grow. Pretty soon the dwarf sag will take over the open spaces.

Beautiful! So proud! I can I only dream! I don't think I would have the patience :/

Sure, I'm open to suggestions! I'm thinking about adding a carpet plant and possibly something red- how does that sound? I also have a bunch of new rocks and DW I've collected off the beach so I have a lot of options! I just don't want to mess it up and make it worse haha

Well, for carpeting you could try Dwarf hairgrass, but that is iffy. For red, you could attempt rotala rotundifolia if you're up for a challenge, or put some of the red ludwigia or hygrophila polysperma var 'sunset' in the back. I really like the sunset hygro. I was going to suggest some taller plants in the back right of the tank, the hygro, ludwigia, or some valisneria american 'natans' or valisneria spiralis 'tiger' or some other kind of vals. Or, some cabomba or ambulia in the back.

Edit: Oh, and adding a background and maybe removing the 2 white stones in the front would help. Black backgrounds are pretty common, but window frosting would look cool too.

Back
Top Bottom