How big can I go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

K.Lyfe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I really hope this goes here, I don't know where else it would go as its just a general question...

So I'm hoping to get my first tank soon. I live with my parents and any tank must go in my room.

I was hoping to be able to put said tank on tope of my dresser (a new-ish IKEA model), but obviously weight is a significant concern.

How big do you think would be reasonable? 5g? Would a 10gal be possible or am I just asking for trouble?

What types of fish I would be interested in obviously change with the tank size.... If a 10gal isn't possible I'll probably go for a betta and maybe a snail or two, I don't think anything else would really be feasible. If I can do a 10 I'd love to get a few guppies or something similar.

Thanks in advance! I did try to search but didn't have much luck.

I don't think I would trust it with a 10g. Water alone is about 8lbs per gallon plus you have the weight of the substrate so we are looking at maybe 90 to 100 lbs when its all said and done. Do you have room in your room for a stand? 10g stands don't cost that much and you may be able to find a used one on craigslist.

A betta and a snail would be great for a 5g. African dwarf frog, or shrimp may work as well.

Well, you have to look at the basic structure of it. If it has good vertical support, as well as a sturdy horizontal platform you should be in the clear! The back panel isn't of significant importance. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420796980.439683.jpg

This is the oldest piece of furniture in the house. I didn't really trust it, because it was kind of shaky at first. So I added an extra horizontal panel to buff it. This little thing has been supporting my 35g for two years now. Even when I open it (clothes are inside) it doesn't make a noise.

Try leaning on it, and put more and more preassure on it. You'll know it's breaking point. Besides most 10g tanks are horizontal, distributing the weight even more.

Sent per three-eyed raven..

I tried keeping my 10g on a dresser. It ended up warping the top of my dresser, a water spill got some water underneath the tank which I couldn't get out and then soaked into the top of the dresser completely destroying the top of my dresser.

I have a ten gallon on a dresser/nightstand in my room. I have had it for five years and it has been fine. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420860476.111488.jpg

I suppose we just need a pic of the dresser. I've put a 10g on an IKEA coffee table before one of those cheapie ones. But then again I always felt worried it would fall apart. I'd go with a 5g or get a proper 10gallon stand. Or at least a sturdier table

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I suppose we just need a pic of the dresser. I've put a 10g on an IKEA coffee table before one of those cheapie ones. But then again I always felt worried it would fall apart. I'd go with a 5g or get a proper 10gallon stand. Or at least a sturdier table

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

MALM 6-drawer chest - white - IKEA

That's the dresser. 6 drawer IKEA Malm (5 tiers, top level is split) in case my link doesn't work. Its not anchored to the wall, but it could be. (I could also modify the structure slightly to reinforce it, I happen to live with 2 very handy people)

I really don't have the space for another piece of furniture in my room! I really am limited to what will fit on my dresser. I have a very large collection of model horses ;) and as such I have 2 massive bookcases full of models and very little remaining floor space.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Ugh, didn't realize linking would mean I have to wait for a mod to check my post....

6 drawer Malm by IKEA. The 5 teir version with a split top level. Unanchored to the wall.

No room for any other furniture in my room right now!

I think you would be perfectly fine with a 10 gallon tank on that. Anchor it to the wall, and you're going to be fine.

I would suggest replacing the back (if it has one - one of those thin cardboardy ones you nail on?) with a piece of plywood cut to fit and then putting either a rubber mat or another piece of plywood or mdf cut a few inches larger than the tank footprint to protect that lamination from water damage.

I've had a 33g long tank on an Ikea shelf reinforced as I mentioned above for almost a year with no problems at all.

Back
Top Bottom