how long before nitrites show up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drm315

Aquarium Advice Activist
Needing refresher points - I'm not new to this, but it's been a few years since I cycled a tank. I started my fishless cycling a week ago. I added a piece of driftwood from a lfs over the weekend, hoping for some good bacteria to be growing on it that would help speed up the process. As of today, I'm barely starting to see a slight change to the nitrite reading on the API Master test kit. It's barely into the .25 ppm reading (and that might be hopeful illusion on my part - lol). I can't remember my fishless cycle from years ago and how long it took to reach the point of seeing some nitrites. Is it normal to take this long, especially if I put *some* seeded material into the tank on saturday?

TIA for any replies! :fish2:

4-6 weeks is pretty typical for a cycle, so I wouldn't get too worried.
Every tank is different so every cycle is also different, but I'd say this week, but possibly next before you see many nitrites. My last cycle took awhile to get to that point, then boom nitrites were through the roof high.

Thanks so much, toolman! My daughter and I both agree, after looking at the nitrite reading, that they are just barely starting to show up, which is what I'd hoped for by putting in the driftwood from the lfs. Keeping my fingers crossed that it progresses it a little quicker now!

You never know how much benefit you're gonna get from the driftwood, so I would plan on none and then be pleasantly surprised if I get some.

I know it's hard to wait, but so much easier to just chill, drink[emoji481] and wait for time to take its course. Lol

Back
Top Bottom