How much weight ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SparKy697

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello,

I’m getting back into the hobby after more than 15 years away. I find this forum to be a priceless source for finding information on getting started. Thank you all!!

I have not found this subject yet so I thought I'd post it.

My question is one of weight in the tank. Not so much about what the floor can take, but what can the tank itself take. I’m starting small with a 29 gallon tank and would like to use some of the ideas I have seen in the photos on the forum. I assume that there is a maximum amount of weight that should be placed in the tank…..

Can anybody tell me if there are any general guidelines for how much weight can be placed in a tank?

Thank you in advance.

My assumption is that if a tank is made by a reputable manufacturer, it will hold the weight of the gallons of water easier. A gallon of fresh water weighs 8.34 pounds. Only additional weight should be substrate, ornaments, and fish. Assuming you're supporting the tank with a flat stand and not hanging it somehow, you should be fine. They make 55 gallon glass tanks readily available in the chain stores. I'd assume they would hold together well without any issues. You shouldn't have much to worry about.

I do understand the water weight concept. I guess what I am thinking of is the added weight of substrate and rock in the tank. Lets say you place a large rock in a tank. You displace some volume of water with the rock. The weight of the water that has been displaced is subtracted from the weight of the rock. What you are left with is the balance of the weight of the rock that is more than the amount of water that was displaced (from our friend Archimedes ).

Is there a point where you have placed too much weight in the tank? Or are they designed to take what ever you an throw at them.

I’m using an All Glass brand aquarium.

Weight is no problem. Some use just aquarium gravel and ornaments in the tank, with no problems. In my 75G, I have 180lbs of Eco Complete alone, along with rock caves with marble anchors, and a bunch of live plants, as well as driftwood. No problems whatsoever. As long as the weight is evenly distributed over a large area, such as substrate, I don't think there's really too much to worry about. And if you have something you want to place in the tank that's fairly heavy, might think about getting a small sheet of plexi to place under the gravel, and place the heavy object on it. That way the total weight will be spread over a greater area than it would be at the point of contact between the object and the glass bottom.

I also have a 29G, and no issues there. I have 60lbs of Eco in that tank, as well as driftwood, live plants, etc. As long as your stand is made for that tank, and properly supports it, you will have no issues.

What I use under the 30 lbs of rock in my tank is egg crate. Cheap and easy to get at any home hardware store in the lighting or ceiling sections. It disperses the weight and has no pressure points on the glass.

Our 150 has a smaller footprint since it is a tall. We have 120 lbs of sand, 70 lbs of rock, 15 lb castle, 10 lb driftwood, and misc decor. I always worry about the glass breaking but it's holding it just fine. :)

I like the look of the 150 tall tanks. As long as I can sell it to the wife my plans are to go with something on that scale. I thought I would get back into the swing of things with this 29g first and impress her with my aquarium keeping skills so that she will soon be begging me for a larger tank :)

lol Yes, the 150 Talls are nice. I love the fact that it gives more depth and allows us to put bigger items in it. It is taller so it is difficult to reach the bottom, but I think the depth gives it a little "village" feel.

You've really got no issues with weight, unless you are putting a lot of something substantiantly denser then water in there. Now mercury would likely kill your fish (or would it? no, no, I think it would.) I guess the some thing goes for lead...

I'm trying to think of something with a large Specific Weight (SW) that isn't toxic, but I can't right now...gold, I suppose. Do you have a lot of gold in your substrate? Man, that would look stunning!

Anyway, water weighs 62.4 pounds per cubic foot. Most substrates are only going to have a SW between 1.5 and 2. Metals will have a much higher SW, but would you be putting anything metal in there?

Yes, I was planning on using primarily gold nuggets with a bit of silver mixed in. I also was thinking of a little mercury waterfall in the middle if I can find a pump that can handle it. :) ( Obvious Sarcasm )

To be honest I was looking at the bottom of the tank and thinking that there is an awful lot of stress on that piece of glass and I just wanted to be sure.. I guess I tend to stress the little things, it’s my nature.

Back
Top Bottom