How often should I change my water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquamo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Although I have an aquarium for about 20 years, I have a question about frequency and quantity of water changes. My old tank was a 55 gallon with undergravel filters and 100 GPH power filter. My new tank is a 125 gallon with 2 400 GPH power filters with biowheels. I moved all of my africans and the water from my old tank to the new tank and filled it up the rest of the way with with new conditioned water about a month ago. All of the fish survived the move and are doing fine in the new tank. In my old tank I used to change about 15 gallons every 2 weeks. How often and how much water should I change in this tank? Thanks!

10-40% every week, sometimes 2 weeks...depending on how the water looks and what the tests are showing me.
But keep in mind I have a densely planted tank, which changes the rules a little bit.

Thank for the advice. Since I have no plants and not that many fish, I think I will start at 10% per week and monitor the water and see how it goes.

[center:09ff484bf8] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, aquamo!! :smilecolros: [/center:09ff484bf8]
I aim for 25% every two weeks. With 6 tanks and no python, I am being lazy. I find that my african cichlids could use a cleaning every week if I really look at the substrate (I blame the pleco :wink:). Need a python....one day :roll:

Seeing how you have not added any additional fish since your 55 gallon tank I would keep water changes on the low end for now. Once the tank is fully stocked than it would be time to increase the changes. So your thoughts of 10% a week is a good rate of change.

In the 55 gallon, I had 2 pairs of Africans that were breeding so I have about 15 small ones in addition to the 6 big ones (only one or so seemed to get big enough to make it from each bunch). So when they get bigger they will probably fill it up a little more. I was wondering if I should get a few more to get some fresh blood in the tank so they don't do too much inbreeding. I have been watching the nitrogen and pH and it hasn't dropped at all since I filled it. Maybe because there isn't much waste yet and the biowheels are working?

Unless you seperate the fish there is no way to guarentee that any new fish would be the breeding fish. So for now I would hold off on adding any more fish. Your tank has probably cycled for the fishload currently in the tank. You should have seen some signs if you have been running for a month now.

Back
Top Bottom