How to move fish over to new tank (instant cycling) ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettalover333

Aquarium Advice Regular
So a few days ago, I bought a 60 gallon tank (yay!!!). I currently own a 20 gallon established tank, I've had it for about 8 months. I'm moving the fish from the 20 gallon to the 60, and i know I should cycle it first. But I remember reading somewhere about instant cycling, or atleast cutting down the time by using media from an established tank. Is it really possible to do this? Like, if I moved my filter from the old tank over to the new tank along with the fish, would my ammonia still skyrocket? I'd really prefer to keep my fish happy and healthy. Any tips would be great! Also, how long should I wait before adding more fish to the big tank after moving my old fish over. Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've also heard of running the new filter in the old tank for a few weeks... Could this help?

Instant Tank Cycling

Hello Betta...

You can't instantly cycle a 60 gallon tank with some of the filter media from such a small tank. You can remove half and add it along with some gravel, decorations, plants, etc. to the 60. You'll have to add fish very slowly until the good bacteria reproduce.

Just replace the filter media you take from the 20, rinse it in some of your treated replacement water before you put it into the tank. The good bacteria in the 20 will reproduce to its former level in a few hours. You also have the benefit of the good bacteria that lives on all the surfaces in that tank.

B

Would running the new filter in the old tank for a week or two help also? Or should I just stick with moving the old filter media into the new tank.

Running the old filter on the new tank for a couple weeks without any fish in it would starve the bacteria and defeat the purpose.

I recommend the path that BBradbury said in the above response. If you were going from 1 20 to another 20, and brought the filter with, you'd be fine, but upgrading to a larger tank and filter you are going to have to take it slow.

Back
Top Bottom