How to upgrade a filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boomalatty

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on the best way to upgrade a filter. My daughter has a 20g tank from an Aqueon kit (i.e. it came with a filter, but the bare minimum). I watched and wasn't convinced that her filter was doing a great job since there seemed to be a lot of residual waste, which was particularly obvious at here weekly water changes. I had read that a better filter would be a good idea, so I picked up an AquaClear 50 filter, which had good reviews and was recommended by an acquaintance. Now, what I need to know is: what's the best way to make the change to a new filter? Her tank is fully cycled (we completed a fishless cycle before adding fish).

Thanks in advance!

Hi!
You have a few options.
You can take all the media from the old filter and add it to the new. Then remove it 2-4 weeks (or longer) after its seeded the new media.
Or
Run both filters side by side for 2-4 weeks (or longer) to seed the new filter before removing the old.
Or
Fill a media bad with the old media and hang it next to the intake pipe of the new filter for 2-4 weeks (or longer) to seed the new filter.

What ever option you use you will still need to make sure there is no mini cycle. Test regularly and do water changes as needed. :)

Thanks! The filter she has now has a cartridge. If I go with your first (transfer media) or third (media bag) options, should I take the cartridge apart?

Perfect. I think that's what I'll do. Thanks for the help. We'll keep an eye on ammo, nitrite, nitrate and do daily water tests for the next couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom