Huge emergency! New Setup Overstocked and not Cycled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AndrewsPistol said:
So, I just ordered an active filter, Im guessing I just attach that to an airstone? That should jumpstart the cycle, eh? Kinda wish I didnt just pay $25 on some Bio Spira before I came to the forum lol!

Some cut it up and put in the hob filters

The Oscar and fire mouth are American, the lab, peacock and kenyi are African, and all from lake Malawi. The Africans need a diet high in veggies and low in protein. Many african cichlids are very susceptible to bloat if they get too much protein. The Americans on the other hand are more carnivorous. The good news is the Pleco can usually make it with either, although both groups are aggressive fish. The bad news is that unless you have one of the smaller varieties of Pleco, its going to need a bigger tank than even the Oscar will. Commons get huge.

One small Tiger Oscar, one small Firemouth Cichlid, one very small Yellow Lab, one small Kenyi, 2 small Peacocks, 1 small Pleco, and one Blue Lobster.

South American: Tiger Oscar, Firemouth
African: Kenyi, Yellow Lab

The Oscar and fire mouth are American, the lab, peacock and kenyi are African, and all from lake Malawi. The Africans need a diet high in veggies and low in protein. Many african cichlids are very susceptible to bloat if they get too much protein. The Americans on the other hand are more carnivorous. The good news is the Pleco can usually make it with either, although both groups are aggressive fish. The bad news is that unless you have one of the smaller varieties of Pleco, its going to need a bigger tank than even the Oscar will. Commons get huge.
Its a shame that people can sell you a life and not tell you these things! I am really trying to love this gift but its hard when we find out the truth about things!

Will your hob's hold 2 filters? I always keep 2 in mine so when one gets really ragged I can throw it away and not mess my bb up.

Also, the blue lobster may eat the fish if they are small. If he's smaller that they are, he will be an expensive snack. I forgot you had one in there too. Crays/lobsters are really really fun to have though, I would recommend keeping him for the 20 gallon and finding some compatible fish or just keeping him by himself. And you are right, it is sad that it is so common for fish to be sold like items, with no regard for their needs. Last time I was in petsmart I had to wait for a while while the associate helped a guy get a snake. Explained their needs for bedding, food, heating, how to feed, and the guy had to sign an adoption paper to confirm that he understood its needs and would care for it properly. Fish just get netted, bagged, and are handed over usually no questions asked. I will say that this particular guy was informed enough to ask a few questions about the tank they were going into, and we joked about how I needed fresh blood in my guppies to keep future generations healthy. But still, at most places this is a rarity. I'm lucky enough to have a good locally owned place in town that does look after the welfare of the fish they sell, but many people don't. I believe you said you are 45 minutes away from a pet store, so I doubt you have many choices. This is where research comes in! Don't just take advice from the store, but know what you need and why before you go in and don't let them sell you things you don't need. Also, there may be some local pet stores closer than you think, just not big enough to really advertise. There's a forum on here for regions, maybe make a post for your regional forum and see if anyone near you has some suggestions.

AndrewsPistol said:
Perfect! Ok,I need to start a list lol!

Are your tanks near a faucet? With all the wc your gonna be doing id suggest you buy a python water changer. Amazon or ebay has them reasonable. I couldn't live without mine!!!!!

AndrewsPistol said:
Once my cycle is finished do I try not to change the filters?

NEVER throw them away until they are falling apart! !! Then somehow 2 weeks before you do you'll need to put another in your tank to start growing bacteria or else you'll be in the same boat your in now!!! And when they get alot of crap on them ONLY wash them in some tank water that you've caught in a bucket! !!

Also, the blue lobster may eat the fish if they are small. If he's smaller that they are, he will be an expensive snack. I forgot you had one in there too. Crays/lobsters are really really fun to have though, I would recommend keeping him for the 20 gallon and finding some compatible fish or just keeping him by himself. And you are right, it is sad that it is so common for fish to be sold like items, with no regard for their needs. Last time I was in petsmart I had to wait for a while while the associate helped a guy get a snake. Explained their needs for bedding, food, heating, how to feed, and the guy had to sign an adoption paper to confirm that he understood its needs and would care for it properly. Fish just get netted, bagged, and are handed over usually no questions asked. I will say that this particular guy was informed enough to ask a few questions about the tank they were going into, and we joked about how I needed fresh blood in my guppies to keep future generations healthy. But still, at most places this is a rarity. I'm lucky enough to have a good locally owned place in town that does look after the welfare of the fish they sell, but many people don't. I believe you said you are 45 minutes away from a pet store, so I doubt you have many choices. This is where research comes in! Don't just take advice from the store, but know what you need and why before you go in and don't let them sell you things you don't need. Also, there may be some local pet stores closer than you think, just not big enough to really advertise. There's a forum on here for regions, maybe make a post for your regional forum and see if anyone near you has some suggestions.
I actually had some major worries about that lobster considering he is almost 5 inches long! He doesnt really come out of his "house" much, and everytime he does, when he goes back in, he pulls a plant up to the hole like he is closing the door lol

Are your tanks near a faucet? With all the wc your gonna be doing id suggest you buy a python water changer. Amazon or ebay has them reasonable. I couldn't live without mine!!!!!
No, I am struggling with how I do this! I think I will syphon the water out a window, then I will have to go back and forth with a jug with the fresh water.

Okay good luck! But with the siphon, be careful not to suck up any fish and send them flying out the window. There are many storys about people siphoning fish down the drain :( just a heads up. Good luck

I am really trying to love this gift but its hard when we find out the truth about things!
I know its hard but try not to get discouraged. There are a few issues here but nothing to bad. I fell into the same trap that your husband did also, I listened to the guy at the store. Everything will work out, just think about how much you've learned in such a short time frame :) Once all of this is straightened out you'll love your tanks and all your aquatic friends!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom