I need help fast!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gsongy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

I am starting up a new 29G tank using the fishless cycle method. The problem I am having is fing pure ammonia, the only thing I can find is Clear Ammonia. The ingredients list it as Ammonium Hydroxide and Surfactant. What is Surfactant and will it affect my tank? I will hold off on this step and check back in an hour or two.

Gerald

Pure Ammonia only has Ammonia and Water, what you have won't work. You may want to go the raw shrimp method instead.

Ok, how much raw shrimp will it take to get the ammonia level up to 5 ppm in a 29 gallon tank? 1 shrimp or 1 pound? or is it hit or miss?

Gerald

I'd buy a handful of shrimp to start with. You should be fine using just 1 or 2 of them at a time. I haven't cycled a tank this way, but from what I've heard from those who have, they switch out the shrimp once it starts to decompose alot.

Another tip is to put the shrimp in some type of mesh bag or some nylons/pantyhose. That way it doesn't make a huge mess in the tank, but water can still flow through it and you'll get your ammonia.

I suppose if you use the mesh bag or pantyhose idea that you would only need a few shrimp for the cycle. Since it takes about 4 weeks on average, you'll probably want to switch it out atleast once.

Cool, thanks!!! You all been very helpfull in my time of need. I hope I can repay the favor. Thanks!

Gerald

Do you have an Ace Hardware near you? That's where most of us have found pure ammonia. The surfactants are definately bad for the tank.

One jumbo shrimp will go a long way in putting up the ammonia in my experience with it. I would think one or two max would do the trick for a 29 gallon. JMO

As a matter of fact I do have a Ace Hardware, I guess Ace is the place! I will check it out.

Gerald

I cycled my 29 gallon using 2 jumbo shrimp myself. One would have been more than enough, I had to take them out and dribble in bits of water from their jar until the cycle finished.

I'd strongly suggest using a cut off nylon or similar type bag to put the shrimp in. They're seriously funky once the decay gets going, not something you want to have floating around free or have to handle directly.

I looked at several local hardware stores, and finally settled on Ace Hardware. The "janitorial strength" is what I am using to cycle my new 10g tank. All the other places I looked had ammonia with colors or scents in them. The Ace version was the only clean one I could find. It was less than $3 for the small bottle too, and that will probably end up sitting under my kitchen sink until I die... Rather than getting an eye dropper, I just dip my finger in the stuff and drop one drip at a time into the tank. In my 10g, I put in 3 drops that way and it raised the level from 1.5ppm to 3ppm.

I do wish LFS's would get on the bandwagon and sell tiny dropper bottles of the stuff.

I cycled my 29 gallon using 2 jumbo shrimp myself. One would have been more than enough, I had to take them out and dribble in bits of water from their jar until the cycle finished.

I'd strongly suggest using a cut off nylon or similar type bag to put the shrimp in. They're seriously funky once the decay gets going, not something you want to have floating around free or have to handle directly.

Eeeewwwwwww.

Back
Top Bottom