I think I've got a plan - 15T setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xena45

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Many thanks to those of you who replied to my post asking for info about my new 15T setup! (Eclipse hood vs. AquaClear HOB, was the main question.)

I got the Eclipse hood in the mail – it’s a twin tube hood that I paid approx. $63 for. It’s cool looking, but I’ve read both positive and negative comments, probably 50/50. After looking at it, I just can’t see how the water is going to go thru the filter, rather than over it. I may buy a small Eclipse, for my office, but the larger setups don’t seem to get as many positive reviews. Regarding the AquaClear filter though, it seems to get unanimously positive reviews, and I really like the adjustable flow feature.

It has occurred to me that I’ll probably want to play around with plants at some point, so lighting will become important. I've always kind of wanted to try SW too, so some flexibility would be good if I decide to try that.

Here’s my new plan:

I’m going to return both the Eclipse 1 twin tube and the standard All-Glass top with 1 flo tube, buy one of those hinged glass tops, and then mount some little wood pieces on the insides of the stand above the tank, and put 24” strip lighting over the tank (which is 18” flo bulbs, yes?). The cabinet is 23.75” on the inside, so I think they should just fit. This way, I can add as much lighting as the stand depth will accommodate (13”). (please note: the picture is just a quick sketch, and is not to scale. The top comes off for tank maintenance.)
fishstand.jpg

The stand isn’t very deep (which is partly why I didn’t get a 20 gallon), but it will still accommodate an AquaClear 30, with a whole quarter inch to spare!

The stand only allows viewing from the front, but I’m contemplating cutting “port holes” in the sides. It might be silly, but fun. The tank sits low, but it’s in the living room and works well when we’re camped out in front of the TV…which is more often than I like to admit.

So what do you think? I’m thinking I may get to put water in the tank next week!

Kf

Hi Xena :D

I think your plan will work. You might want to hide the lighting components by adding a piece of wood to the top of stand. I think less light will escape into the room this way.

Sounds good to me too! I have thought about returning my All-Glass hood and using a glass, hinged top with lighting that I can pick out rather than what tube comes with the the hood. I don't know anything at all about building stands, but if you do the portholes, make sure it doesn't compromise the stability of the stand.

Back
Top Bottom