Im getting ready to cycle a tank tomorrow!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brittanykluss

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got my wondeful grandfather to build me a very nice and sturdy aquarium stand for my 20 gallon tank.Which is what I was waiting for before I filled the tank up. ( its much heavier when its filled with water and gravel im sure..) Im going to start cycling it tomorrow. I was rereading The (almost) Complete guide to cycling and faq, and I see that if you want you can add crushed coral to help speed things along. Im assuming this is safe for people cycling for a freshwater tank? Any tips before I begin my first ever fishless cycling?

That guide sounds familiar ;)

The crushed coral won't necessarily speed anything up...but it's a great insurance policy to protect against any potential pH issues in low alkalinity water which can have some negative consequences on cycling.

Just make sure you're all set to go...bubbles on, heater cranked up, the right type of pure ammonia, etc... There's no other little tricks I can think of..but I'll let you know if I think of any :)

Good luck!

Also I was planning on stocking my 20 gal (24" long) with 1 dwarf gourami*, 1 bolivian ram, 6 harlequin rasbora, and 4 otos. Now what order do you think I should add first? Does it matter? I know I have to keep an eye on the ram and cichilid. I do plan on heavily planting the tank and getting lots of hiding spots, caves etc...

brittanykluss said:
Also I was planning on stocking my 20 gal (24" long) with 1 dwarf cichilid, 1 bolivian ram, 6 harlequin rasbora, and 4 otos. Now what order do you think I should add first? Does it matter? I know I have to keep an eye on the ram and cichilid. I do plan on heavily planting the tank and getting lots of hiding spots, caves etc...

A Bolivian ram actually is a Dwarf Cichlid, do you mean another type (or maybe a Dwarf Gourami?)?

Assuming they're all compatible, the stocking order with the fish shouldn't matter much. I'd personally wait a while to add the Otos until the tank is more established...or at least until diatoms (brown algae) show up...and they will :)

A Bolivian ram actually is a Dwarf Cichlid, do you mean another type (or maybe a Dwarf Gourami?)?

Assuming they're all compatible, the stocking order with the fish shouldn't matter much. I'd personally wait a while to add the Otos until the tank is more established...or at least until diatoms (brown algae) show up...and they will :)

Har har i meant gourami!

I too am cycling my 20 gallon, and have the same stocking list, fire red gourami, harlequin rasboras, and Otos. I'm going to add some cherry barbs to though!

Back
Top Bottom