I'm new, and my head is just... swimming!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm a bit concerned about the bubbles I have going the tank. The filter we have moves the water very very well when in high and I'm sure that's enough for the oxygen levels in the tank. Also have a bubbler, but the one side produces bubbles 3X as big and fast as the other side... I fear it may cause the fish not to be able to rest at night. I have it unplugged it for tonight, but wonder: can too much current in the tank exercise the fish too much and cause fatal stress?

If your filter provides enough surface agitation then you don't need an air pump, I haven't used an air pump since I've gotten my tanks unless I'm treating for sickness. Personally I don't like the looks of the bubble walls and all that stuff, but that's just me.

Just wondering, what makes you think guppies don't nip fins ? Some of them do, just as I'm sure some danios might as well. But I've yet to see any of my danios nip any fins on any fish, and they have many opportunities to try. Though they don't really school, they do seem to prefer the company of other danios, and will chase each other around when they're bored. They pretty much ignore the other fish entirely.

Oh I've seen guppies nip at each other and I'm sure any fish will nip if another is treading on their territory; however, danios seem to have a higher reputation for it. I wouldn't want a tank of mostly danios so I decided not to get them. I like the guppies I have now. Just need to decide in what to put with them.

Oddly enough, I have almost all danios in one tank, and have yet to see a nipped fin on any of them, in nearly two years. Guess it depends on the particular fish, or perhaps space. I have them in 30G, so they have swimming room they would not have in smaller tanks.

Back
Top Bottom