I'm throwing away my 1 day old plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualady40

Aquarium Advice Addict
:(...I am going to just throw away my 1 day old plants because they are dieing off and I been asking questions on here to no replies....:(:(:(:(

Plants take a little while to adjust to a new tank so throwing them away after a single day is a little premature. I assume you're referring to your anacharis? There are also a plethora of resources available online regarding anacharis care if replies on the forums here are not quick enough. Personally I just let my anacharis float at the top. They provide great coverage and my gouramis love swimming through them. Give them another try! Nothing compares to live plants! :)

Many plants die off a bit at first, it's an acclimation thing. Is it Anacharis, as previously stated? Are you using Excel or a similar product? Excel and Anacharis do not get along.

Many plants die off a bit at first, it's an acclimation thing. Is it Anacharis, as previously stated? Are you using Excel or a similar product? Excel and Anacharis do not get along.

I did use Flourish is that okay with them?

They should like the flourish. Give them time. Most plants will go through an adjustment phase where the original leaves turn yellow and "melt". Patience is the key. Remove any damaged looking leaves and with time they should come around and begin to look beautiful. What kind of plants have you got?

They should like the flourish. Give them time. Most plants will go through an adjustment phase where the original leaves turn yellow and "melt". Patience is the key. Remove any damaged looking leaves and with time they should come around and begin to look beautiful. What kind of plants have you got?

I had gotten Anacharis (5 bunches) and the lfs threw in 2 Cabomba branches which I am just letting those 2 float. Thank you for responding and responding with a delicate tone towards me because some people I have seen get personal and rude. There are thousands of threads on here full of information and newbies registering every minute; therefore, learning how to maneuver around and find all information needed can be a task for some and for others they may find it little by little. As much as I have read, I never came across ANYTHING that told me plants acclimate/adjustment phase so I thought because my nitrites are peaking (on 6th week of fish-in cycle) that the specific plants I chose couldn't handle it.....anywho...thanks again pics are attached

Attachments

• 20121010_091808.jpg
    20121010_091808.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 20121011_122318.jpg
    20121011_122318.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 20121011_122346.jpg
    20121011_122346.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 81
Geronica said:
I had gotten Anacharis (5 bunches) and the lfs threw in 2 Cabomba branches which I am just letting those 2 float. Thank you for responding and responding with a delicate tone towards me because some people I have seen get personal and rude. There are thousands of threads on here full of information and newbies registering every minute; therefore, learning how to maneuver around and find all information needed can be a task for some and for others they may find it little by little. As much as I have read, I never came across ANYTHING that told me plants acclimate/adjustment phase so I thought because my nitrites are peaking (on 6th week of fish-in cycle) that the specific plants I chose couldn't handle it.....anywho...thanks again

Plants can handle the spikes during cycling. In fact, my sister did a fish less cycle but added plants right away. Ive read that they can actually aid in the cycling process. I hope that your plants recover and I know you'll be relieved when the fish in cycle is over! I did one once and I was so tired of the almost daily PWC's.

Plants can handle the spikes during cycling. In fact, my sister did a fish less cycle but added plants right away. Ive read that they can actually aid in the cycling process. I hope that your plants recover and I know you'll be relieved when the fish in cycle is over! I did one once and I was so tired of the almost daily PWC's.

Ahhhh! So you know the pain...and I am patient just did not know my plants were going to go from dark pretty green to yellow/brown in a split second....I thought it was my tank not nourishing it properly.....I just want to do it right the first time around.......YOUR such a positive person ...you and BERT...thank you both...I guess I have a tiny bit more hope than what I had yesterday...:oops:

What kind of lighting are you using?

Both are 15 watt but one is specifically for plants..correct me if I am wrong but I was trying to get plants that were LOW light/maintenance to start out with while I go through the learning phase. Did I choose the wrong ones with the lights I have?

Those are two good choices. It looks like some of the stems still look good, I'd just trim off any of the ones that have turned brown. As mentioned, there is sometimes an adjustment period when transitioning plants to a new tank.

That tank looks awesome!! I do think your plants will come around and when they do its going to look even more amazing! :)

That tank looks awesome!! I do think your plants will come around and when they do its going to look even more amazing! :)

Awghh thank you...I just moved all of them to the left corner during pwc...(btw my nitrites are finally showing signs of decreasing and I have 5 trates...yeah for me)

If you decide later to get more plants there are other low light tolerant plants such as Java fern, anubia, crypts, swords, dwarf sag, water sprite, and narrowleaf temple. These are all plants I've grown in lower light and all have done good.

If you decide later to get more plants there are other low light tolerant plants such as Java fern, anubia, crypts, swords, dwarf sag, water sprite, and narrowleaf temple. These are all plants I've grown in lower light and all have done good.

Oh great thank you for the fyi

i would go with some crypts they have beautiful leaves i have some wedtiis in my 29 and the leaves go from a bright green to a deep red.

Back
Top Bottom