is distilled water the same as ro /di water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sheilak

Aquarium Advice Activist
im trying to set up a invert tank and i know the water needs to be pristine and i dont have a ro/di system yet so i was thinking i could buy the distilled water from the grocery store for about a buck a gal it would be cheaper than buying ro/di system for awhile i already buy it for drinking water

It is not the same, but would most likely work. Distilled water should have 0 TDS. Keep in mind you will need to add something to it to provide a buffer, or you will have a pH crash. You don't want to use water with 0 TDS.

And inverts also need Ca & other minerals in the water for maintenance of their shell. They do better in moderate hard water (say pH of high 7's). Depending on what your tap water is like, you might be better off using tap, or a mix of distilled & tap.

Another alternative is to add a remineralizing salt mix to distilled. That would take care of pH buffering and the Ca/Mg the inverts needed. But this is more expensive than tap!

Back
Top Bottom