Is there such a thing as a jinxed tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corinna

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there,

I am a novice freshwater fish tank owner with little success.

I have a 70L Mirrabello tank(18.5G) that I acquired 2nd hand a year ago . The only fish I am able to keep alive are 5 Tetras and 1 Gourami.... who is now sick with an odd cotton like growth on its side. I just can't keep any new additions to the tank alive. Some only last a week.

I test and carefully change my water 20% weekly-fortnightly, keep my light on a 10hr timer, run a Hydra 20 internal filter, have a bubble stone going when the lights are on, give no more than a pinch of food every other day and keep the temperature range between 26-28C (79-83F).

I have not been able to keep alive any: Angel Fish, Siamese algae eaters, Sharks, Mollies or bristle noses.

My Api readings are usually: PH-6, Nitrate, Ammonia, Nitrite - 0. I keep 1 real plant an a host of artificial ones.

I really need some advise and guidance.

Hi there,

I am a novice freshwater fish tank owner with little success.

I have a 70L Mirrabello tank(18.5G) that I acquired 2nd hand a year ago . The only fish I am able to keep alive are 5 Tetras and 1 Gourami.... who is now sick with an odd cotton like growth on its side. I just can't keep any new additions to the tank alive. Some only last a week.

I test and carefully change my water 20% weekly-fortnightly, keep my light on a 10hr timer, run a Hydra 20 internal filter, have a bubble stone going when the lights are on, give no more than a pinch of food every other day and keep the temperature range between 26-28C (79-83F).

I have not been able to keep alive any: Angel Fish, Siamese algae eaters, Sharks, Mollies or bristle noses.

My Api readings are usually: PH-6, Nitrate, Ammonia, Nitrite - 0. I keep 1 real plant an a host of artificial ones.

I really need some advise and guidance.

Ph is a little on the basic side so it could be that I believe. Most of the fish you just discribed bring on your tank aren't not suited for that small if a tank any way. Angelfish at least need a 36g unless your doing a species only and even then I don't feel comfortable with them in a 20g. Lights shouldn't be on for more the 8hrs either but that's not killing your fish. If your Parms are equally 0 then it's not cycled. There should always be a bit of nitrate left over (very little like less then .5ppm) an your constant temp is way to high. I keep mine around 75-78, only 80 when I had a batch of tetras catch Ick.

Welcome :)

One other would be to test your tap water and make sure it is roughly temp matched when doing a water change. Testing lets you know what the starting point is compared to your aquarium but it's also worth a check on water quality anyways.

Last edited:
Cheers for the reply and welcome Delapool. I use 2 digital thermometers when changing water but didn't think to check its quality. Good tip. Will do.

Ph is a little on the basic side so it could be that I believe. Most of the fish you just discribed bring on your tank aren't not suited for that small if a tank any way. Angelfish at least need a 36g unless your doing a species only and even then I don't feel comfortable with them in a 20g. Lights shouldn't be on for more the 8hrs either but that's not killing your fish. If your Parms are equally 0 then it's not cycled. There should always be a bit of nitrate left over (very little like less then .5ppm) an your constant temp is way to high. I keep mine around 75-78, only 80 when I had a batch of tetras catch Ick.

Actually, pH is on the acid side but not bad. So it might be ammonia or nitrate that are causing the problem - maybe too small a tian.

Back
Top Bottom