Just a newbie saying hi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RagE

Aquarium Advice Newbie
HI!

Just recently picked up a large (well it seems that way to me) tank rather cheap with all the equipment needed for tropical fish. I'm guessing it would be about 45 us gal(not sure on the conversion of the size)? Hard to guess but i think around 180 - 200 litres or there abouts.

Anyway after jumping in the deep end and now knowing much at all about keeping fish (managed to kill a few gold fish as a kid but that was about as far as my experience went) and my belief that google can find anything i got stuck reading up on the topic. And well eventual found my way here!

Just want to say great site! It has already helped me a great deal (cycling my tank) so i just thought i'd make a post and make myself known. :)

Now for the fish.

I currently only have 4 Tiger Barbs ... even after being told about them being fin biters and kind of aggressive i like the look of these fish and plan on getting at least another 2 as they do better in larger groups? true? false?

The only other fish i have at the moment is a Rainbow Shark who i was also told can be quite aggressive to some fish. So far he is doing good and doesn't bother with the Tigers unless they come to close to his hiding spot. He reminds me of a grumpy old man chasing the neighborhood kids off his lawn.

I don't have huge plans for this tank and being my first i'm not expecting great results but i am learning rather fast and find myself doing a lot of reading.

I guess i'd like to know what other fish would do good in this tank. I'm not to keen on some of the more flashy fish with long fins and i know with the tiger barbs that rules most of them out anyway. But i'd hate to just pick more fish because i like the look of them only to find beaten and finless fish floating the next day...

Hi and welcome to AA RagE :D

True. Tiger barbs do better in groups. 7 would be a good number for your tank. I believe that when kept in numbers like they tend to chase each other and not usually bother their tank mates much. Have you gotten any idea on what other species you might like to keep?

Welcome to AA! :mrgreen:

I think a decent school of tiger barbs makes a fabulous species tank - they are so active and colorful, so I'd definitely add to their numbers and perhaps get some bottom feeders, like cory cats, as the tiger barbs won't bother them.

I'd stick with that setup for a while as the tank matures, and this will give you some time to decide more of what you want, and learn about your options before you get more fish.

[center:0924411e0f] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, RagE!! :n00b: [/center:0924411e0f]
Good advice from Brian and TG! :D

I'll second (or third or fourth or whatever it is now) the advice of the others, 7-8 would be a good number of Tiger Barbs for that tank, and that's a big enough tank you shouldn't have quite as many problems as are prevalent in smaller tanks. Watch the shark, and absolutely don't get another rainbow shark. I got two early on in my fishkeeping experience without reading and very shortly only had one left.

Welcome to AA

Whoops, I didn't even answer your question. With the tiger barbs, absolutely no long finned fish, just save yourself any possible trouble and don't get any. I would recommend a pack of Yo Yo loaches (3-4) or a group of Cory's. YoYo's are probably amongst the top 3 or 4 most entertaining fish in all of freshwater. Your barbs are probably not going to bother anything that is a bottom dweller. Anything that is a top to mid swimmer better be fast enough to get away from the barbs.

Hello again, thanks for the advice and welcome :)

I picked up some plants and a master test kit today so i can keep tack of how my tank is doing ... all seems fine sofar.

After watching the fish for a while i think i have decided more tiger barbs would be a good thing. But that wont be for a week or so yet...

Hiya RagE!

I'm a newbie too, and this site has been WONDERFUL! A wealth of information and people are very, very helpful. Hope to see you around the forums!

Back
Top Bottom