Led lights help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sammm11

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I'm new to this whole aquarium kinda thing never even had a beta before but I bought a 10g maybe a week ago. I have a parrot cichlid and a bala shark. Should I keep the lights on all the time or turn them off at night? Help!

Hi I'm new to this whole aquarium kinda thing never even had a beta before but I bought a 10g maybe a week ago. I have a parrot cichlid and a bala shark. Should I keep the lights on all the time or turn them off at night? Help!

You need to turn the lights to give the fish time to rest. That aside, neither of those fish are suitable for a 10g.

I need some help too....I have a heavily planted 29gallon freshwater tank with co2 pressurized system.4days ago I bought fluval full spectrum aqualife and plant led light...it is beautiful but I don't see any changes ...how long is gonna take to see the changes of the plants?or am I too fast?

Just for future reference, it is best to start your own thread when you have a question, otherwise you may be seen as a 'hijacker.' Pertaining to your question, however, it largely depends on the strength of your lighting and the regular growth rate of the plants.

Last edited:

Both of those fish grow extremely large, a foot long for the bala shark and 8 inches for the parrot cichlid. You should return them or give them away. Do you know about cycling a fish tank? If not, read this:

http://www.oscarfishlover.com/helpful-articles/cycling-an-aquarium
Tips for Cycling Your New Aquarium - The First Tank Guide - Getting Your Fish Tank Up and Running with Minimal Headaches

Basically, cycling is where you establish the "good" bacteria that break down ammonia from fish's waste into nitrIte, and nitrIte into nitrAte. Ammonia and NitrIte are very toxic to your fish, and should be kept under .25 ppm (parts per million). Nitrate is far less toxic and should be kept under 40 ppm. To cycle a tank you add a source of ammonia (either pure ammonia or a fish that creates waste that has ammonia in it, but adding pure ammonia is much easier) to the tank, then the "good" bacteria will "eat" the ammonia, and turn it into nitrIte, and turn nitrIte into nitrAte. This whole process takes about a month, but is necessary to do. Cycling a tank with pure ammonia is known as fishless cycling, because no fish are involved. Fish-in cycling (using a fish as a source of ammonia) takes longer, and requires more water changes, but the only downside to fishless cycling is that you will watch an empty tank for a month. But fishless cycling is definitely easier.

Anyway, it may seem like a lot at first, but it is quite simple really. If you have any questions ask them on this thread or you can send me a private message by clicking on my profile name, then clicking on "send a private message..."

:welcome: to aquarium advice!

I agree, both fish will make the 10 gal explode when full grown. Are there plants in the tank? Most people set timers on there lights and the light stays on for around 8-12 hours a day. If you have night lights, you can also use those at night.

Back
Top Bottom