Lethargic Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

extremenewb

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I've had my betta for abt a month and recently he's been acting kinda tired. He seems to just sit there on plants and rest there continually. He's eating normally, and will flare and move around when I put a mirror next to his tank, but when not stimulated he just sits there. He does have a little buldge behind his gills. I thought it might be constipation or something? He hasn't pine-coned so I don't think its dropsy. Also may be affected when I fed him freeze dried BW 4 the first time. I actually gave him QUITE a bit of worms, and I think that may have contributed. Other food he has is blanched pea once a week, and 2-3 hikari bio gold twice a day.

Btw, my water parameters:
pH - 7.7
GH - 80 mg/L (if you havent realised , I'm using Hagen mini master kit)
KH - 30 mg/L
NH4 - 0
N02 - 0
Temp - 79-81F

Anymore info just say so. Thanks for help u can offer.

Offer only peeled blanched peas for a few days. I think he's all plugged up from the bloodworms.

When I feed freeze dried foods, I soak them in water for a few minutes. Otherwise, I fear the fish will take a huge gulp, which will swell up in their stomachs.

Hi extremenewb,
Yes, do as QTOFFER says and give the blanched peas for a few days -- try to watch if you see him "go" too. Then you'll know that he's getting better.

I wouldn't feed too many freeze-dried bloodworms. They are a bit too "rich" to be given every day. I feed my bettas freeze-dried bloodworms or daphnia two or three times a week, in the evening as a treat. Their morning food is pellets -- the Hikari gold pellets, and I soak these also in a little cup of tank water before feeding. Any dry food can expand in the stomach, so pre-soaking will try to prevent that. If you feed 6 pellets a day, then skip the freeze-dried food that day. If you're going to feed some freeze-dried that day, then give maybe 4 pellets.

Watch to see if he returns to his normal level of activity. That can vary from betta to betta. I've had some bettas that are quite energetic. Another betta I had swam slowly, and liked to sit on the plants for 5 or so minutes at a time.

cheers for advice. SOunds good. Actually I feed freeze-driewd bw fairly rarely like once or twice a week (is that rare? lol). I'll keep him on the strict vege diet n hoppefuly he'll get better. And yea I've heard of soaking dried food in water before immersing it in the tank. Since you both do it.. I might start doin that. thx

he's quite alive when I put a mirror next to his tank :D but still lethargic otherwise... I'll keep him for a little while longer on peas only :?

Just a little off topic qn if some1 can help. Im thinking of adding some white clouds to my tank. Wondering if some1 could suggest to me what temperature I should keep the tank at? (heard something that white clouds dont like temps above 80F). Thanks. And would the current parameters be fine for them too?

Back
Top Bottom