Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaleV87

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am new to a lightly planted tank. I have a moss ball and a Amazon sword. I know my lighting really isn't cutting it and I want a nice planted fish tank.

My tank dimensions are 48x36x12.
This is a deep tank.

I want to upgrade the lighting and maybe later even do a CO2 setup when I know more but I understand lighting to be more important at this stage.

I don't want to upgrade 5 times though. I need advice on a light system that will suffice fish and plants in one shot if you know what I mean.

I do like the idea of the LED's with the moon light at night being as that's when I get to see them the most but are they as effective for the plants?

Suggestions on a setup are appreciated since I don't know what to get with all these options available.

Looking for some good suggestions from all you pro's...
Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you have the money I'd have to suggest one and only one light..build my led, it's going to cost big bucks but they will bring you anywhere you want to go. If that's out of the question than an exotic eseries or current sat plus pro would be the next best thing. May want to consider an aquatic robot with telescoping arms because I have no idea how you'd plant a 3 foot tall tank ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Corsair - Root tabs I have learned thus far through reading others post here in the planted tank section. I plan on picking up today. Thank you.

Brookster123 - Can you elaborate on the "build my LED"? And what are you calling big bucks? I would change my current bulbs that I know are "spent" and use root tabs to help an extra couple weeks if need be in order to make the right purchase the 1st time. Are we talking a couple hundred. I anticipated just by browsing around it would be that much at least.
I personally am the man who would rather wait till I can afford a good quality product one time than waste my money upgrading several times. Although sometimes a deal comes along that changes your thoughts on that...lol
Please explain the build my LED and Thanks for everyone's help.

Build my led is a company that deals in high end leds. You can speak directly with them on the phone and they will custom build a rig capable of whatever you'd like. They can be dimmed, controlled with a 24 hour solunar module. Checkout the Web page. You'll be closer to 400-500 I'd think. May be worth waiting if you're serious in wanting a quality led capable of growing med light plants.

I checked out the build my LED today online and they look awesome. But after going to the store today I looked at what they had to offer.
They had the 48" sat plus pro which I saw hooked up and running on a tank.
I also saw the fluval 48" LED 55w which they recommended over the satellite plus pro due to being brighter and my tank being so deep (36").
My wife has brought up another point that I wasn't aware of; it seems that when my son moves out he wants my tank ?. She said I could get a new bigger and better unit then (but I was thinking I could have 2 then).
So I am contemplating the satellite plus pro now being as I may only have it another year or so.
My question would be does anyone have experience with the fluval led mentioned and how would it stack up? It will cost more than the satellite and no remote so is it $100 better?

The fluval is brighter but sat plus pro puts out more par, I'd go with that

Thanks for the help Brookster123!

Ok, maybe a dumb question but I have to ask....par?

Google it, it's basically how far the light will penetrate the water column.

Which fluval were you looking at? I have the eco bright LED and its low light in a 20" tall tank. Aver all a great light but ya get what you pay for.

Ok that's a step up from the one I have. I will say the build quality is good on these lights but I only have a Natural Geographic's to compare it too.

Those lights are fine on a shallow tank, not going to do much on your tower;)

The guy at the store to to convince me they would be better....lol
Those were over $100 dollars more than the sat plus pro too but as you mentioned Brookster123 the pars are not as good. I did Google "photosynthetic active radiation".

I do appreciate all the great advice you give and hope that I do not become to bothersome as I attempt to learn this hobby I have come to love.

The guy at the store to to convince me they would be better....lol
Those were over $100 dollars more than the sat plus pro too but as you mentioned Brookster123 the pars are not as good. I did Google "photosynthetic active radiation".

I do appreciate all the great advice you give and hope that I do not become to bothersome as I attempt to learn this hobby I have come to love.

Brookster lives for this when he's not melting filter parts on the stove :ROFLMAO:

Try some "neon tettras" or some other small tettra.
tetra.jpg

Then can look really sweet in schools
neonshoal.gif

Images taken from a google image search.
Guy at the store is trying to liquidate the fluval line.. they've been 60% off at petco..hmmm?? are you sure it's the the sat plus pro? Not just the sat plus?? What store is this??

It was the Pro that I was looking at but I think he gave me the wrong price. The ones I see online are around $287.
That Fluval was $338.
I will be picking up a Satellite Plus Pro by this weekend and hope it really turns on my plants.
I did put a couple root tabs in for the Amazon Sword this weekend.
I put one on each side of it about 2 1/2" from the root. It appears to still be doing well and sprouting new leaves even before the tabs and with the bad lighting. Fingers crossed that I will have a nice planted tank in a few months.

Run away from that store! !! Run!!! Saw that same light for like $160 at petco.

No worries Brookster123! This ole boy is gonna get the sat plus pro for this tank and when I get and setup my new larger one I'm going with the build my LED.

Back
Top Bottom