Live Plants really needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aquaman23 said:
Title says it all. Are live plants really a necessity for a large freshwater tank or will artificial plants work just as well?

No they arent a necessity at all. They provide certain benefits, but in no way are they needed. Artificial plants will do just fine:)

Thanks! I figured but the book that I bought at the fish store only talks about live plants and not artificial plants at all so I wasn't sure. Thanks Gboy!

Live plants would probably be cheaper long run for a large tank though.

You're book talks about live plants because artificial plants are basically just decoration. live plants are a whole ball game all on its own, but its worthwhile in the end when you have a beautiful tank that almost takes care of itself.

I wouldn't say the live plants will be cheaper mine sure haven't been cheap and they are just common stuff but i will say they look a million times better than plastic ones lol. It really depends on the fish you plan to get though cause some well eat live plants some won't and also how much work you want to doas well because live plants aren't just toss them in tank and forget about them, you will need to pick dead leaf off add fertilizer manage the lighting ect kind of allot but once you get the basics its allot of fun.

Some fish and Shrimp prefer or require live plants to thrive. Common stuff does not.

But this tank is next to my bed...all live plants and I love staring at my tank.

i agree with aoessand. live plants does take a bit of upkeep than decorations. IMO live plants looks better than artificial plants. I do have a 10g tank with artificial plants and its doing fine with just guppies and corycats so it all depends on what fish you're planning to have.

Back
Top Bottom