Low maintenance freshwater plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stephen Rollins

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am looking for advise on some low maintenance live plants for my soon to be community tropical tank.
I'm thinking about putting 4-6 live plants in the tank before I start the cycle.

All help will be appreciated.

I think java fern and anubias are pretty easy to take care of. Or maybe amazon sword and moneywort.

Stephen Rollins said:
Can I use all of those in the same tank?

I'm new at this sorry

Yes they all can go in the same tank. I have all the plants in my community tank (but java fern). I just started planted also.

I have Anubias, hornwort (floating), java moss, water wisteria, water primrose, argentine sword, crypt lucens and micro sword all in my 55 gallon. So far they seem pretty easy to take care of. I'm kind of new at live plants too. All I've done for them so far is add some root tabs (fertilizer). They are all growing and doing well.

My advice is go to your LFS, look at the plants they have and write down the names of the ones you like. Then go home and read about them. Some stores will sell plants that are not true aquatic plants and they will die eventually, so you want to make sure you don't buy those unless you are willing to replace them down the road.

Bearchumjs said:
I have Anubias, hornwort (floating), java moss, water wisteria, water primrose, argentine sword, crypt lucens and micro sword all in my 55 gallon. So far they seem pretty easy to take care of. I'm kind of new at live plants too. All I've done for them so far is add some root tabs (fertilizer). They are all growing and doing well.

My advice is go to your LFS, look at the plants they have and write down the names of the ones you like. Then go home and read about them. Some stores will sell plants that are not true aquatic plants and they will die eventually, so you want to make sure you don't buy those unless you are willing to replace them down the road.

Yes have to agree some places sell non-aquatic plants! Make sure you do your research on t before you buy it like he said!! This got me bad!

Ok thank you two. Can I plant them in gravel rock. Or do I need a different type of substrate ?

Stephen Rollins said:
Ok thank you two. Can I plant them in gravel rock. Or do I need a different type of substrate ?

Sand or gravel both work but I like both. :)

Bearchumjs said:

How much light do these plants need? Do I have to keep the light on longer than 12 hrs? Do I need specific bulbs?

Stephen Rollins said:
How much light do these plants need? Do I have to keep the light on longer than 12 hrs? Do I need specific bulbs?

I have a 32W T8 bulb and I leave it on for 10-12 hours a day. I'm trying to cut it back to 8-10 hours because I'm getting a little algae in my tank. I'd say I have moderate lighting so the plants do well, but I leave it on too long. Others will have more information on light needs and what kind of lighting would be best for you to look into. This is just what seems to be working for me.

I do know that Anubias don't need alot of light.

Back
Top Bottom