Moving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JC_Bus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello I am moving about 5 minutes away from my house. I have. 60 gallon aquarium that I have to take and move over. I was planning on moving the tank over there last. I'd keep the gravel and filter in the tank but take out all the water. I was planning on moving the fish in a bucket and fill the tank at the new house. Is this okay? Do you have any ideas to help make this better?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would be nervous leaving the gravel in the tank but that's just me. Maybe keep it wet with aquarium water in its own bucket? Then you wouldn't have to worry about it in the moving tank.

I personally prefer nothing in tank while move. No water or gravel. Its just so much weight and scares me. When I moved I had two 5 gal buckets, one with wet gravel, and one with fish and as much water as possible. If you can somehow try to keep filter somewhat wet too. But I wouldn't mess around with moving the tank with anything inside. Its easy enough to keep your tank from needing to be recycled, don't risk breaking the thing.

I have 55 lbs of gravel do you think the buckets will be okay holding the weight of the rocks? I also have live plants do I keep them in the bucket with the fish?

I agree, i would take everything out. The plants would be fine for a while in the water with the fish, thats what i did.

I am moving my tanks for the 2nd time in 6 months in a few weeks, fun!

Yeah a 5 gallon drum or two should be enough for all the gravel, you'd be surprised how much fits in one drum. But then have a separate one for just water, fish, and plants. Moving really is easier than it seems.

Is moving stressful for the fish? Should I expect some to not make it to the new house? I have mollies and cory cats

Thank you so much for the help!

Back
Top Bottom