My new aquired 20 gallon tall setup.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

55gallons

Aquarium Advice Regular
well last nite i went down to townsend delaware and picked up a 20gallon tall setup . it had everything except gravel and water test kit

right now i have it in the tub with water all the way to the top- for leak test.. i want to clean it with vinager do i use a cap full? i don't want to use alot I don't think- if you look at the corners do you think that the vinager solution would clean the silacone ??

this setup came with a junior whisper filter ( i think its to small for a 20 gallon but it will work.) came with a bunch of slate as well whats the best way to Clean prep them- cause i think they just tore the setup down when they moved and they didn't bother to clean the tank or accessories .

when doing the vinager cleaning to tank and accessories how long do you do it do you soak them ?

heres some pics.
img_708700_0_6e534f9742ef6b43fc74d205a6ee8821.jpg

img_708700_1_ab692f16c3863318398872274d5d5033.jpg

img_708700_2_9cc0cdb52d9f6c610f3ab972e568059f.jpg

img_708700_3_0227ad8530c2873f6faed2943c991fcd.jpg

img_708700_4_98b6b4ed74b314a599f1fa8ada5d4e66.jpg

Heres the hood - it looks CRAPY
img_708700_5_7d2f2f322830cf6c16d4dd06b1f06fdd.jpg

I have used vingar to clean my tank from time to time, you can use as much as you need just make sure a rinse, rinse and rinse so more. At least that is what I have done in the past.

Tess

It looks pretty clean. The amount of vinegar won't matter, since it is in the tub just give it a good scrub and rinse, rinse, rinse. The rocks can just be scrubbed with a little bleach and a lot of water and again rinse, rinse, rinse. Nice looking setup. Good luck with it.

i don't trust my self with the bleach with the slate- can't i soak them in a bucket of water and vinager for a hr or two?

It pasted the leak test- i kept it in the tub from 3:25 to about 10 mins ago filled with water - no change . I DID Notice like a scalish or bubbles all over the inside the tank- rub my and across it and it goes all over - it could be from the heat of the water i dunno- I Gotta pickup a bottle of vingar at the store and look for an old sink brush to scrub the tank with - ... how many rinses do you think it would take to clean the slate ? and just use a cap worth of bleach? how long to soak? i just don't want my first round of fish to die because of me -

Say 25 to 1 water to bleach. Scrub well and soak an hour or two. Rinse well and then soak in triple dechlored water for another couple of hours. Then rinse twice more and you should be good to go. Will you be doing a fishless cycle?

Yes it will be fishless cycle - as i don't have any tanks/ fish going at the moment. ok - 25 to 1 .. ( sorry wasn't very bright with that type stuff in school actually never learned) so what am i lookin at water to bleach ratio? 1 CAP full to 1 bucket of water ? then whats this other stuff you say about some type water-? i figured i 'd run tap water into the tank - (have yet to get water tested) IF The water seems to have to much iron for safe fish keeping then i'll buy 20 gallon jugs of water - or use those water cooler containers for water supply- yes it may end up costing me - but in the end the fish will live-

A 1/2 cup in a 5 gallon bucket will be fine. I meant add dechlorinator to a bucket of water after you rinse the rocks, to soak the rocks in, to remove any last trace of the bleach.

Your tap water should be just fine for your fish, If you have city water then you will need to add a dechlor, I use prime, to the water to remove the chlorine or chloramines.

no we have a well i think i live in a mobile home park - they have some type of setup where they're not attacted to the town's water - they have some tanks here in the park some where i think . very LOW water pressure- ..

OK - where does a dummy like me get this stuff to soak the rock in ???lol . O -dang- i still have the gravel from my 55 gallon hex tank in my 5 gallon bucket :( i soaked it with vinager a while ago - its dried up now - I should do another fill of water and vinager and then rinse . need to find a old strainer .hmmm community yard sale this weekend -- think i'll have to take a look For a strainer.

I CAN'T believe i'm doing this - but i found a 50 gallon (stretch) as they call it for 50$ i shouldn't go for it til i get the 2 i have runnin lol . i can't help it i'm a fish tank wanting freak - lol .

Back
Top Bottom