My tetras are afraid of fluorescent light :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaketetra28

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum so be patient with me lol :whistle: . So I recently upgraded my aquarium from a 10 gallon tank, to a 15 gallon which I received for free (I bleached it and scrubbed it down, also rinsing it multiple times so don't worry). The tank cycled for about four days with a new heater. With the aquarium I got a hood with a different type of light, a screw in halide bulb (x2), to a newer fluorescent light. My fish (3 diamond tetras, and 7 black neon tetras) are doing fine health wise but it seems like they are afraid of the newer brighter light. They are very active when the light is off, but as soon as the light goes on the school together in the corners behind the larger plants and in the rock. Has anyone experienced this with fluorescent lights?, and would anyone recommend getting live floating plants or just get a smaller bulb? :thanks: In advance! -Jacob (I also attached a picture of my complete aquarium after I did the transfer of the fish into the new aquarium with the light off)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 147
Some amazon frogbit and/or dwarf water lettuce would work very well to dim the light a bit.

Ok thanks! I'm not sure if I will just buy a smaller watt bulb, or try a live plant. I am leaning towards a live plant, so if I do I will look into those plants!

I have tetras also. They're in a high light, planted tank but with no top floating plants.
Mine stay lower in the tank also until the lights go to the blue led night light. They then swim higher up almost instantly. Your tetras, like mine, are the ones that come from heavily shaded upper tributaries of the Amazonian river basin. Even though the brighter light doesn't hurt them, they prefer the dimmer light by evolution. OS.

Just an update because you guys helped me out! I ended up purchasing some broad leaf water sprite from my LFS, and when I was placing it in my aquarium my mom and I actually found out why my fluorescent light was super bright. Behind at the the top of the fluorescent light there was a shiny white reflector piece of plastic (the whole length of the light) so I removed it and the light has reduced significantly, and the fish are happily swimming with the light on now! Thank you both! :)

Back
Top Bottom