Need Help :-\

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newbietofishes

Aquarium Advice Regular
Firstly brilliant news considering ive never tested my fw tank (240l) and it overstocked too :-\ but ammonia 0 nitrite 0 and nitrate is 10mg/l and according to my charts its fine....

My newly set up tank 24 hours tank.... Ive used a filter and gravel in a tight in the filter area of the 120l tank ive also use the water from 240l too about 40 gallon (uk) and rest is fresh tap water with aqua safe...
Result are ammonia 0, nitrite 5.0 mg/l maybe more... Nitrate is 100 mg/l there isnt any fishes in the tank but cos ive jump start from using stuff from my other tank how do i move from here and when do i add fish to keep up the bb... Do i do a wc till the numbers go down for the nitrite and nitrate? then add fish but would that stop the bb from forming? Thanks

When i said gallon it actually litres :-\ i only added 40litres of the 240l water

If there are no fish in the tank the nitrite has to be coming from somewhere....have you tested your tap water for nitrite? I'd also double-check your other tank to make sure the nitrites aren't coming from there. You don't want to add fish with nitrites that high. Nitrates are pretty high too....are they the same levels as your other tank? Again check your tap water. If nitrates are that high in your other tank too then you're not doing enough water changes; 50% weekly is good practice. To keep the bacteria alive until you add fish you could get some pure ammonia and proceed with a fishless cycle: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

Hiya thank for the info... Will read it up. My other tank is listed above with 0 ammonia 0 for nitrite and 10mg/l of nitrate, tested the tap water too and that is 10mg/l too, i will double check all the test tonight but i believe that my 240l tank is running how it should be all the fishes are looking good im doing weekly water change never miss (50%) as i did have a common pleco but he have gone now to a new home...
All i can say for the new tank is ive got two different kind of driftwood/bogwood.. Didnt plan to put any fishes in yet as do understand the nitrite and nitrate is too high for the fishes....

I too used my filter from my old tank and I used some of the decor and I'm just now getting to the point where my tank and transmute ammonia to nitirite pretty quickly. So it's still going to take awhile from what I can tell. Also most of the bacteria you need isn't in the water its in the filter, the walls, the decor, gravel, all that stuff. Transferring water as far as I've learned doesn't really do much.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom