Need Help With Fishless Tank Cycle!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bills61

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
About 1 month ago, I purchased the Top Fin 5 gallon glass aquarium with an integrated filter. I immediately stuck a betta fish into the tank, without knowing of the cycling process, which died 3 days later(from illness or ammonia poisoning I don't know).

After doing some research, I decided to do a fishless tank cycle. I added water dechlorinated with Top Fin brand dechlorinator, washed gravel, cleaned ornaments, heated the water to 79-80 degrees, slid in the filter, and planted some Top Fin live plant bulbs. After this set-up, I dosed the tank to 4ppm of Ace Janitorial Strength ammonia. I waited patiently, and tested everyday with the API freshwater master test kit, but after one week, the only bacterial growth I had was algae due to all but 2 of my bulbs rotting. I threw away the bulbs, did a partial water change, and kept the ammonia at 4ppm.

After 2 more weeks, and no signs of Ammonia dropping or nitrites appearing, I decided to clean out the tank and start over. (I guess this would be a good time to say that the pH was steady at 7.6 the whole time). I washed out the gravel, cleaned the slime off the tank and ornaments, and washed out the filter with tap water(there weren't signs of good bacteria in it anyways). I had to get a clean wire in order to get all the slime(which I'm assuming is algae out of the filter pipe). I then reassembled the tank dossing it to 3ppm of ammonia and reheated it to 79-80 degrees. I also lowered the water level a bit so the filter will splash bubbles into the water.

I resembled the tank just over a week ago and the ammonia level have not changed. (I don't know if it is relevant but over the course of this past week and a half, I added some new live plants and some cleaned, boiled, rocks to the tank.) I am now 1 week and 4 days into trying to cycling this tank for the 2nd time. No ammonia level change. Interestingly though, 2 days ago I took a nitrite reading a found it at .25ppm. I did a small water change later that day and the nitrites have not shown up again since. I recently added Tetra SafeStart to my tank,even though it is likely this will not help. Today I did a 50% water change and doubled up on the dechlorinator and did an ammonia test immediately after only to find out that the ammonia level is now 8ppm...(I understand that a test right after a PWC can cause a false-positive).

I am needing some help/advise ASAP so I can get this cycle over with. It has now been over a month of combined time with no good signs. I also need this to finish quickly because I picked up a sick looking betta fish from the store and am keeping it in a clean, temporary bowl (50% water change per day) until this tank is done cycling. Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to cover all the bases. Any help is appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-09-18-14-27-55.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-09-18-14-27-55.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 47
Okay! I'm just very excited to get some fish in the empty tank! What do you think the appearance of .25ppm nitrite was? False reading? Or is the cycling actually getting going?

Okay! I'm just very excited to get some fish in the empty tank! What do you think the appearance of .25ppm nitrite was? False reading? Or is the cycling actually getting going?

Probably will have been on course. Not to worry. These things take time and it's good you are willing to wait to make sure things are right for when you add your fish. This is the hardest part for many. Staring at an empty tank ? but it's worth the wait.

What day are you on now?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Probably will have been on course. Not to worry. These things take time and it's good you are willing to wait to make sure things are right for when you add your fish. This is the hardest part for many. Staring at an empty tank ? but it's worth the wait.

What day are you on now?

Today starts day 12 of my second attempt

Meanwhile, while I wait for my tank to cycle(still nothing yet), what is the best way to keep my betta fish healthy in his temporary bowl?

Meanwhile, while I wait for my tank to cycle(still nothing yet), what is the best way to keep my betta fish healthy in his temporary bowl?

Frequent partial water changes should help.
Have you checked with your LFS about obtaining seeded media? It will significantly reduce cycling time to maybe a week or two. Seeded media is also available online.

Frequent partial water changes should help.
Have you checked with your LFS about obtaining seeded media? It will significantly reduce cycling time to maybe a week or two. Seeded media is also available online.

I live close to a PetSmart, will they have seeding material? Otherwise I can check with other fish suppliers. What website would have seeding materials?

I probably wouldn't get it from Petsmart. I know they don't sell it, but I've generally seen their tanks to be poorly maintained, usually snail infested. That'll be a new set of problems you don't want in a brand new tank. Better to look online, or ask a friend.

No one I know know has a cycled tank. My tap water is 0 across the board for ammo, nitrite, and nitrate...pH seems to be about 7.6

Angels Plus ships active sponge filters at pretty reasonable rates. From my recent experience, once your cycle gets moving be careful not to let your nitrItes get too high. My cycle essentially stalled for a week and half until I did enough water changes to get them back down to testable levels!

Angels Plus ships active sponge filters at pretty reasonable rates. From my recent experience, once your cycle gets moving be careful not to let your nitrItes get too high. My cycle essentially stalled for a week and half until I did enough water changes to get them back down to testable levels!

After adding the sponge filter from Angels Plus, how long did it take to cycle your tank?

Could take up to a week. I used media from another established tank and took me days.

I was urged by people on another site to do a 100% water change and then finish the cycle with the betta in the tank. What would you recommend?

I'd feel more comfortable putting the betta in after you have the sponge filter. The bacteria in the filter may be just enough to handle the ammonia produced by the betta. You can try fish-in cycling too, but the chances of permanent gill damage and death are quite high, even if you are pretty diligent about water changes. Also with just one betta fish, the bacterial colony takes a long time to establish. My 2 cents.

I'd feel more comfortable putting the betta in after you have the sponge filter. The bacteria in the filter may be just enough to handle the ammonia produced by the betta. You can try fish-in cycling too, but the chances of permanent gill damage and death are quite high, even if you are pretty diligent about water changes. Also with just one betta fish, the bacterial colony takes a long time to establish. My 2 cents.

I was told that if I add the betta along with a bottle of TSS+ then it should be safe while the tank cycles. Thoughts?

In my experience, almost not a chance. There are controlled tests that prove that store bought bacteria is very ineffective. The aerobic bacteria that are needed to reduce ammonia and nitrites don't survive in a closed bottle without oxygen.

Back
Top Bottom