Need help with my new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xBIGMANGOx

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Alright, so i just purchased a 55 gallon tank with brand new heater, filter, and air pump. Ran it for about a two days, took my water to my local fish store and the man working showed i had 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 0 Nitrate, 7.2 pH, 100 Alkalinity, 75 Hardness, and 0 Chlorine. He said i had the perfect start to a tank. So i picked out two fish (Neon Tetras). Went home and my friend was waiting and his tank had leaked very bad and he needed me to hold his fish for a day until he resealed his tank. I now have about 12 fish in my tank and worried about my water... I am going to give him 8 of his fish back and keep a sucker fish and a another tetra (idk name).... My main question is have i already ruined my tank?

xBIGMANGOx said:
Alright, so i just purchased a 55 gallon tank with brand new heater, filter, and air pump. Ran it for about a two days, took my water to my local fish store and the man working showed i had 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 0 Nitrate, 7.2 pH, 100 Alkalinity, 75 Hardness, and 0 Chlorine. He said i had the perfect start to a tank. So i picked out two fish (Neon Tetras). Went home and my friend was waiting and his tank had leaked very bad and he needed me to hold his fish for a day until he resealed his tank. I now have about 12 fish in my tank and worried about my water... I am going to give him 8 of his fish back and keep a sucker fish and a another tetra (idk name).... My main question is have i already ruined my tank?

Welcome to the site :). We've got a lot to catch you up on...and fast. First rule of fish keeping, almost never listen to the guy at the pet store. Second, do as much research as you can about the nitrogen cycle in aquariums. The ammonia level will quickly build up in your tank which will cause serious harm to your fish since the tank is not properly cycled. You're going to need to do daily water changes to keep your ammonia and nitrIte levels under .25 at all times. In order to save myself some typing, quickly look over this guide to give you some great info-
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

I'd you have the option of returning the fish, the best choice is to cycle your tank without fish. Check out the link in my signature to get some info about that process. :)

:welcome: to AA

Eco23 already told you the first fish-keeping rule .. so at this point I'd read up on the links Eco23 gave you.

Good luck!

I mean is cycling the water necessary? As long as the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels remain low isnt that really what matters? cant i just keep doing water changes every 2 weeks

I mean is cycling the water necessary? As long as the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels remain low isnt that really what matters? cant i just keep doing water changes every 2 weeks

There's a LOT more to it than that. A tank will cycle one way or another. The question is whether you want to do it fishless...or if you have the commitment required to do all the water changes necessary to prevent your fish from suffering ammonia and nitrIte poisoning. We'll help you all we can, but read up on some of the info we've given you to try and get a good grasp of the situation.

You will need to do water changes every single day cause your tank is not cycled you want to show nitrates about 5-10 it's a lot of work but if your commited it will work but with partial water changes everyday everyday everyday sorry for the bad news but at least you know now another thing you will need is a good liquid test kit API master if you can find it or at least a kit that had ph ammonia nitrites nitrates and read up on Eco's post good luck and keep us posted so we can help

ammo over .25 nitrites over .25 or nitrates over 20 and your looking at lost of 50 % water changes a DAY these can kill your fish. alos of people think "yea sure i dont need to do water changes ill just buy more fish when they die" but plz dont be like one of these people

Back
Top Bottom