Need more Decor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rin2809

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just set up and cycled our 20 gallon tank, but now looking at the pictures, I am trying to figure out if it is too sparse? Need more plants or hiding places?
aokuc5.jpg

What sorts of fish are you going to add? I think it mostly depends on what species you have, as some need more hiding places to feel safe and some need more open swimming space. I would personally add more decorations, though.

What sorts of fish are you going to add? I think it mostly depends on what species you have, as some need more hiding places to feel safe and some need more open swimming space. I would personally add more decorations, though.

I just saw your other thread with the fish/inverts and I think you do need more decorations. Have you considered adding a few hardy live plants? It would add some variety and I've heard that otos love them.

I just saw your other thread with the fish/inverts and I think you do need more decorations. Have you considered adding a few hardy live plants? It would add some variety and I've heard that otos love them.

The idea of Live plants terrifies me a bit to be honest! I have a brown thumb when it comes to non-aquatic plants, so I have been steering clear of them in the tank as well.

Last edited:
The idea of Live plants terrifies me a bit to be honest! I have a brown thumb when it comes to non-aquatic plants, so I have been searing clear of them in the tank as well.

There are some super hardy plants like java fern, java moss, and anubias that are almost impossible to kill. I also can't keep non-aquatic plants alive, but aquatic plants are much easier for me.

Live plants and live fish just go together. Try some Java Moss, just tie it to a decoration or piece of rock with some fishing line and sit back and see what happens. You might surprise yourself and get the plant bug. Don't try to plant up the tank in one go, just add one at a time and see which is easiest. Java Fern is also a good starter, it too needs trying to an rock or wood (don't plant it in the sand as it will rot).
Keeping aquatic plants is very different to non-aquatic plants - you never need to water them ! ?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom