Needing help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tedens11

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 36 gallon now front tank. Needing help with the water testing and what levels it should be when cycling. I also have a few fish in there.

You'll want to get the API Master Kit. Ideally you'll want to try to keep ammonia and nitrite as low as possible during cycling. This means frequent water changes based upon daily test results. For atypical cycle you'll see ammonia first, then a decrease to zero in ammonia and a rise in nitrite, then both should decrease to zero and you should then see nitrate in the water. Once you can maintain zero in ammonia and nitrite you have cycled the tank.

Now with fish in the tank this will require vigilant testing and water changes large enough to get the toxic levels of ammonia and nitrite down to almost zero with each water change. It will likely be 50%+ of your water with each change.

As for the time, it generally takes about a month or so. There are products out there, the bacteria in a bottle products such as Dr. Tim's,
Safe Start, Cycle and Stability, etc., that have worked for some to speed up this process. It's kind of hit or miss though using these products but to me it is worth a shot.

Back
Top Bottom