New 29g, looking for stocking suggestions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

celtic11

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys. New here and looking for some advice. I used to keep cichlids about 5 years ago and have had several 55 gallon setups. Got out of it because when I had my first child I got too busy and ended up losing interest. I've been wanting to get back into the hobby for a while and recently stumbled upon a free 29gallon setup. I'd like to get a bigger tank someday and still have dreams of a 6' tank but for right now I am going to get me feet re-wet with this setup.

Anyways, I originally planned to do a small African Cichlid tank but the research has led me to believe it would be quite difficult with limited options and small numbers of fish. I have three small children so I have decided to go the community route so I can have more fish.

I'm looking for opinions on fish stocking options and possibly some good plants. I've only ever kept cichlids, community fish and plants are sort of new territory for me. Also, I need to cycle the tank.. I've read I can do that with or without fish? What are the pros/cons of each and how do I go about doing the cycle with fish?

Thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome!

This guide should answer most of your cycling questions: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

As for fish, a 29 gal does give you some good options. Tetras, danios, corys, are just some. While you're continuing to research and set up the tank (and maybe cycle it fishless if you go that route) you could visit some local shops and write down the names of fish you like and then research them (or/and ask here) to see if they would fit in your setup. Good luck!

The advantage to cycling without fish is that you don't expose any fish to harmful ammonia or nitrites as you cycle. The downfall is that you have to deal with kids wondering why you have a tank with no fish.

As for stocking I like to have a bottom level, a large single school, and a centerpiece fish. Cory's are a very entertaining fish and great to fill the bottom level. A single angel or gourami make wonderful centerpiece fish.

Take the kids to the pet store and see which schoolers catch their eye. From there we can help narrow down what would work best with the centerpiece fish you like best.

Hey, welcome back!

First cycling the tank with no fish is best. With less water changes and no fish gets hurts. You dose the tank with pure ammonia for the bb to build up. You can buy pure ammonia at a local hardware or fish store, but make sure it says 100%. Them dose 1pm to 5pm. As invest In a good testing kit, amazon has good deals on them.

As for plants, Anubis, java fern, java moss, wisteria, and amazon swords are good starters. Though amazon swords are heavy root feeders so a good root tab is needed.

Almost any tetra could work. I would look for a kind you like, such as neons, flames, cardinals, rummy nose, blood fins, ect. A school
Of 6 would work great
Next I would do a school of Cory cats, there cute little buggers that stay on the bottom and like to be in schools of 4 or more.
The a dwarf groumai as a center piece.

Don't add all the fish at once, could shock the bb

If your looking to save money you can use raw shrimp, fish or fish food in a nylon bag. It will start to rot and decay creating ammonia.

OK the boys and I are going today to see about some gravel and maybe some decorations. I like a natural looking tank and I have a feeling they are going to be more into the bubble shark. I'll look into the ammonia thing as well, since that seems like the easier method. I would love to have one Angel in there and I think the Cory cats sounds good as well. I did work at one of the big box pet stores so even though my experience is mainly with cichlids, I at least am familiar with the other species out there. So far I am thinking I would like a group of neon tetras, corries, and an angel. Could you guys recommend some numbers of each and is there anything else I can add? I don't want to get crazy adding various species but maybe one other species?

Edit: I see someone already suggested some numbers so if I go with 6 neons, 4 corys, and 1 angel could I add anything else. A couple rams?

In a 29 gallon tank I would go more like 8 cories of the same species, 24 neons, and a single angel. I've never kept rams so I'm not sure if they would eat the neons or not.

In a 29 gallon tank I would go more like 8 cories of the same species, 24 neons, and a single angel. I've never kept rams so I'm not sure if they would eat the neons or not.

In my 20g long i have 5 neons in with my GBR pair and they never chase anyone, they are very peacful fish and are compatible with about anything. You should have your tank up for atleast 3-4 months before getting rams though as inbreeding and horrible genetics have caused many rams to be super sensitive and not very healthy. How about 6-7 neons, 6-7 cories, 8-9 halequin rasboras, and your rams after a while.

Hmm, I'm iffy about the angel. See an adult angel can get 12 in across if given the right room ect. Plus in the wild, neons are the angel natural prey. I would go with a smaller center piece like rams or a dwarf or peral groumai.

Hmm, I wouldn't go that far. 24 neons, I know they have a small bioload an such but they still need room to swim and not run into each other. Mabye 12 max in a 29

Hmm, I wouldn't go that far. 24 neons, I know they have a small bioload an such but they still need room to swim and not run into each other. Mabye 12 max in a 29

Thats what i wad thinking, 12 is a good number and then another school of H. Rasboras

From what I have always been told danios are fast swimmers and really need lots of room to swim. A 29 gallon tank is too short for them (lengthwise) but I know others may have a different opinion on that.

The footprint of the tank isn't bad for danios I just don't like them because they have the tendency to be a bit on the nippy side. It's 30x12. Personally I like cardinals better than neons because the red running all the way across the body gives more of a color punch. Those and a gbr would look awesome.
I would go with and this is just me but
2 GBR
18 cardinal tetra
1 L 144 l/f bristolnose pleco here is a picture of one much prettier than other plecos

The footprint of the tank isn't bad for danios I just don't like them because they have the tendency to be a bit on the nippy side. It's 30x12. Personally I like cardinals better than neons because the red running all the way across the body gives more of a color punch. Those and a gbr would look awesome.
I would go with and this is just me but
2 GBR
18 cardinal tetra
1 L 144 l/f bristolnose pleco here is a picture of one much prettier than other plecos
http://s699.photobucket.com/user/fl...b14a9a9019aff9244f2ef7_r_zpsc97c62eb.jpg.html

I definitely don't dislike the cardinal tetra. Do they do OK in smaller numbers? What if I did something like

12 neon tetras
6 cardinal tetra
4-6 Cory cats
2 GBR

Also, what about a bala shark? I know it may eventually get too big but my oldest boy would love it if we had a "shark."

That stock would be perfect but not the bala. Balas need company of there own kind for company and at least a 70g tank. So unless you are aiming to get a 150g or bigger tank those wouldn't be a good idea.

How about kuhli loaches? I have 3 in my tank and they are awesome! Look them up, they look alot like eels. Try for 3 or more, if there are less than 3 they will never come out, but when there is 3 or more you will see them every time you look at the tank!

I definitely don't dislike the cardinal tetra. Do they do OK in smaller numbers? What if I did something like

12 neon tetras
6 cardinal tetra
4-6 Cory cats
2 GBR

Also, what about a bala shark? I know it may eventually get too big but my oldest boy would love it if we had a "shark."

I say no to balas. They grow freakin fast and once they are big they can break the tank with one thrash of the tail or body. They are kinda agressive and before ya know it your neons/cardinals and cories will end up in its stomach. Also they have a large bioload so again, if you wanna bala get a 150-200g tank.

Back
Top Bottom