New 50 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viccy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok here is my question , i am planning on stocking this tank with 2 discus , 1yellow lab , 4 shrimp 10 neon tetra's and 5 fancy guppies . My tank is 18x18x36 and it has a lot of hiding places due to rock , driftwood and 20 plants . so the real question is "am I looking for trouble here ?"

Short answer, is yes.
Old world Cichlids do not mix with new world, very different water chemistry needs
Africans are rather aggressive fish and will destroy the shrimp,guppies,and tetras in all likely hood
New world cichlids, discus prefer a school (at min 6) and are one of the most finicky and fragile fish in the fish keeping hobby, they need perfect water conditions, and it needs to be stable that way, I've seen them die from just having the tempture wrong in a water change

I would skip the yellow lab and discus, if you wants center piece a single angle fish or a groumai would work much better, for guppies make sure have males or they will over run the tank

I wanted to have a nice center piece fish and the tetra's and guppies for a back ground , this started out to be a cichlids tank but I , well cichlids will tear this tank up . I need to give this more thought . Thanks for the reply

Keyhole cichlids are pretty mellow and you can have multiple ones, my guy doesn't even really mess with my guppy fry

Seconding the recommendation of a Pearl Gourami. An adult male is perfect as a centerpiece for a 50g. Gold gouramis are beautiful, too, but they can be be buttheads toward their tankmates.

Back
Top Bottom