New 50 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rainbow shark

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a used 50 gallon aquarium. I am thinking of doing a planted tank, maybe 10 plants. I was thinking pool filter sand as a substrate, probably 2.5 inches deep. I was going to do a rock cave and a driftwood stump for decorations. This will be a low tec aquarium so I was thinking anubis nana, amazon sword, contortion val, and java fern. My proposed stoking list is as folows.

1 x Rainbow Shark (Epalzeorhynchos frenatum)
6 x Tiger Barb (Puntius tetrazona)
6 x Julii Cory (Corydoras julii)
2 x Blue Gourami (Trichogaster trichopterus)
2 x Golden Gourami (Trichogaster trichopterus)
10 x Malaysian Trumpet Snail (Melanoides tuberculata)
10 x Ramshorn Snail (Planorbidae)

I am very new to the world of aquariums and any advice or sugestions would be greatly apretiated.:D

I just bought a used 50 gallon aquarium. I am thinking of doing a planted tank, maybe 10 plants. I was thinking pool filter sand as a substrate, probably 2.5 inches deep. I was going to do a rock cave and a driftwood stump for decorations. This will be a low tec aquarium so I was thinking anubis nana, amazon sword, contortion val, and java fern. My proposed stoking list is as folows.

10 x Malaysian Trumpet Snail (Melanoides tuberculata)
10 x Ramshorn Snail (Planorbidae)

I am very new to the world of aquariums and any advice or sugestions would be greatly apretiated.:D

Be sure that you only get one male gourami. They will not play nice with each other.

Be careful with the Malaysian Trumpet Snail. You will be starting out with 10, but will end up with 100's to even 1000's. Make sure that you absolutely want them and that there will be enough food for your other bottom dwellers.

You'll probably have to add some root tabs if you go with the swords. Mine struggled in my 10g with playsand until I added some tabs. I use the API brand root tabs and they work great. Also, you may want to get closer to 3" of sand so the roots have more room to spread out.

thanks for the info on the sand, snails, and gourami.

I was only geting the mts because i saw somewhere that they stir the sand. Is there a beter alternative?

Don't worry about an explosion of MTS. I started with one snail and now I have thousands. They stay hidden most of the day and do a great job of stirring the sand and keeping it clean. I only see mine first thing in the morning when the lights come on or if there's excess food or a dead fish.

If you don't have the tank up and running yet, I'd recommend fishless cycling. Search for it here on AA. It's much less stressful for both you and your fish. If you cycle with fish, you'll be doing a LOT of PWCs.

thanks for the advice, I'll look into the fishless cycle.​

If i wanted to get a fish to help stir the sand what would be a good option?​

I also would like to know if there is a good replacement for the ramshorns to eat algae on the glass? a small variety of plecostomas? Bristle nose?​

Be sure that you only get one male gourami. They will not play nice with each other.

Really? I had a 3 male gourmai along with 3 females, and besides the one fighting with the other one in the beginning they were fine.

You don't really need a fish or snails to stir the sand, you can use the handle of your fish net or anything really. I have some kuhli loaches that will burrow a little into the sand but not enough to stir it.

Thanks the kuhli loaches idea, they look cool I might get some.

Uptadted stocking list

1 x bristlenose pleco
2 x kuhli loach

I personally cant wait for my MTS to come, they look soo cool and do a lot of the work for me including clean up!! They may multiply like crazy, but isnt that what craigslist is for?

I got my tank. it is a 45 gallon. I want to get a new heater and filter.

jebo 200w

THese filters are on ebay which is better
jebo508 hang on
whisper ex 45

thanks for any input

Thanks the kuhli loaches idea, they look cool I might get some.

Uptadted stocking list

1 x bristlenose pleco
2 x kuhli loach
Nice choice to get the bristlenose they are excellent and slow growing and dont get to big! be careful with the tiger barb though because they may nip as you already know, Im glad your gettting six as it will limit the nipping to them not to the other fish. other than that all other fish sound great =)

also, nice choice on the rainbow shark! the are great to look at when the come out. mine stayed hidding for a while but its always out and about cleaning up and swimming happily, hope yours doesnt hide to much!

I got my tank. it is a 45 gallon. I want to get a new heater and filter.

jebo 200w

THese filters are on ebay which is better
jebo508 hang on
whisper ex 45

thanks for any input

As for Heater... Save the headaches, and buy Marineland Stealth or Marineland Pro Stealth...
Nothing else.
I've been through ****. Wasted $100's before I found the Stealth. I now swear by them.

Filters... I'm all for Canisters. Easy to clean, and very efficient. There are alot of good brands out there. I personally use Eheim, but that is one of many good brands.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom