new 55 gal tank setup check

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fergie615

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone....my first post.

I'm setting up a 55 gal fw tank and just wanted to bounce my setup and a few other questions off someone. Here is a list of what I have going on.

--fluval 304 w/ black diamond and chem pure (recommendation from coworker w/similar)
--visitherm 200w
--std perfecto hood w/ I believe 48" coralife 40w
--stress coat as water treatment

I'd like to setup a peaceful community tank. How many discus can you keep together?......What are my options for popular schooling fish?.....

Thanks in advance for any constructive criticism and/or suggestions

I agree with afilter. Discus are very challenging fish to keep as they need pristine water quality. And in most cases a species only tank. Any tetra would make good schooling fish. Cardinal, congo, or emperor tetras are all good choices. For bottom feeders look at loaches and cories. And for the top of the tank look into gourami(avoid dwarf gourami) or hatchetfish.

Welcome to AA!! :mrgreen:

Good idea to get suggestions first, before getting into a mess.

I'm in full agreement with above, and you'll be much better off starting off with more tolerant fish, of which there are many, many to choose.

Are you familiar with fishless cycling? This is a great way to get started and prepare the tank, and gives you time to plan carefully. Here's my favorite link on the subject: http://www.tomgriffin.com/aquamag/cycle2.html

Good luck and keep us posted! :D

Thanks everyone.

I plan on going slow. As my wife says, I can be quite anal about attention to details. Just looking forward to getting started, should have water in this weekend.

I just might try the fishless cycle.

Back
Top Bottom