How many shrimp can I add to my 55 gal planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wetfarticus

Aquarium Advice Activist
Recently setup and cycled my 55 gal tank. It fairly heavily planted.
Wondering how many shrimp I can add without overloading the filters ability to deal with the extra bioload.
Still stocking but my plan for it is:
2 mystery snails
8 Cory cats
2 angels
10 harelquin rasboras
3 Platies
2 bolivian rams

I was thinking of Red Cherry shrimp.

Any advice or direction is appreciated
If you have any ideas on my list that would work out better, please share
IMG_0109.jpg

You could put more in there than you are probably willing to pay for. To give you an example, I have somewhere between 100-200 RCS (they just keep hatching!) in my 40 gallon breeder right now with about 50 nano-fish (a few flavors of rasbora and pygmy corydoras), 5 peacock gudgeons, 1 cobalt goby and 1 dwarf mexican orange crayfish. I'm running an Aquaclear 70 and sponge filter attached to a powerhead, nitrates stay under 20 ppm with a 25% weekly water change.

You could put more in there than you are probably willing to pay for. To give you an example, I have somewhere between 100-200 RCS (they just keep hatching!) in my 40 gallon breeder right now with about 50 nano-fish (a few flavors of rasbora and pygmy corydoras), 5 peacock gudgeons, 1 cobalt goby and 1 dwarf mexican orange crayfish. I'm running an Aquaclear 70 and sponge filter attached to a powerhead, nitrates stay under 20 ppm with a 25% weekly water change.

So looking at the picture that I posted and keep in mind I'm going to be adding more plants, what would you say would be a good number of shrimp to add to the tank and should I change or add to the list of fish that I already have planned to put in there?

Thank you for your reply. It is greatly appreciated.

Looking at your stocking list, the angels and rams would probably eat the RCS. The canister would consume some as well (happened in my tank last month).
I would go with Amano and ghost shrimp in that tank. You will have to buy more down the road as these will not sustain a continuous colony.

Looking at your stocking list, the angels and rams would probably eat the RCS. The canister would consume some as well (happened in my tank last month).
I would go with Amano and ghost shrimp in that tank. You will have to buy more down the road as these will not sustain a continuous colony.

Good to know!
Thank you
So with Amano or Ghost shrimp, what kind of numbers should I go with?

I'm not very good with stocking numbers. Ghost shrimp are inexpensive so you could probably put 10-12 in there. Amanos are a bit more expensive (~$3 to $8 approx).
Not trying to sway you on not getting RCS, it's just that aside from predation, that tank is large and you'd probably never see them anyhow.

I'm not very good with stocking numbers. Ghost shrimp are inexpensive so you could probably put 10-12 in there. Amanos are a bit more expensive (~$3 to $8 approx).
Not trying to sway you on not getting RCS, it's just that aside from predation, that tank is large and you'd probably never see them anyhow.

Now that I am doing more research and from what you have told me, I am thinking shrimp are probably not a good idea for this tank.

Besides the fact that they are just fun to look at, my desire for shrimp was mainly for helping to keep the algae in my tank under control. I have the Corys and the snails, but they really don't do much for cleaning the plants. I know that shrimp like to eat algae off plant life. Do you know of any other options that might work? I'm looking at this kill fish or American flag fish. Don't know much about it. Don't know much about any fish really. What are your thoughts?

Shrimps do eat algae, however, there are many types they won't touch.
Nerite snails are effective at algae removal. They don't breed in fresh water, though the females might leave white, sesame seed looking eggs attached to surfaces in the tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom