Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-07-2011, 01:53 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

New 75 gallon 2 hob filters vs 1 canister filter which do you use ?

Upgrading to 75 gallon from a 10 gallon.

I see often larger tanks having two hob filters but what about canisters, is the norm just one canister or two ? Is one canister enough to filter the whole tank ?

The tank has those two all glass hoods with a plastic section on the back I'm assuming for cutting areas to place filter.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:54 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What kind of fish ?

Old 05-07-2011, 02:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogurako View Post
What kind of fish ?
The usual tropical community suspects

pleco, clown loaches, mollies, danios, red tail sharks, balas, corys, tiger barbs, planning on a full house but not too full. I'm aware of the sizes some of these will get, no worries there.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Either way is good, it depends on what you like. HOB's work great and are easy to get to, but they clutter the tank with lots of equipment (2 HOB is what I'd do). Canisters are a bit more work to maintain, but they're out of the way and do a bang up job cleaning tanks your size (1 can is enough IMO). Whatever you decide, I'd suggest sizing the filtration beyond your tank size (ie filter for 125g, not just 75g) and you'll never have an issue.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:27 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd go with a canister in that size of tank, but that's just me. I just got an Eheim 2217 for my 90 and love it, Rena and Fluval are also good filters. Canisters afford a cleaner look and allot of them have spraybars / you can make one.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:40 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree, cannister is superior in larger tanks, period.

I have found - through trial and error - that the larger HOBs tend to get bockety and are prone to making a lot of mechanical noises, no matter how well you maintain them.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:43 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudraker
I agree, cannister is superior in larger tanks, period.

I have found - through trial and error - that the larger HOBs tend to get bockety and are prone to making a lot of mechanical noises, no matter how well you maintain them.
I agree I had HOB in my 55 and I swear a quarter of an inch of water would evaporate and tons of water and mechanical noise.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:14 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

They are way worth the additional initial expense in my opinion.

I have also found they are much less expensive to run in the long run and you have easier and broader options for media.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:16 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I also like being able to add or remove what I like to best suit my tank.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:45 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

With a canister there's like 2 hoses right ? One sucks the water up and the other puts it back out. So with this all glass hood and plastic back I'd have to cut two areas where the canister hoses would go correct ?
Old 05-07-2011, 03:48 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's pretty much it.

I'd really encourage you to go that route. The advantages are huge.

Oh yeah, and most are super quiet, especially when compared with hobs of the size for your tank.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:57 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecoking View Post
With a canister there's like 2 hoses right ? One sucks the water up and the other puts it back out. So with this all glass hood and plastic back I'd have to cut two areas where the canister hoses would go correct ?
Yep, that's all there is to it and for a big tank a can is going to work better in the long run, plus you can put a spray bar on it and spread to flow across (most of) the length of the tank.

I'd suggest you look at the Fluval 405, it's rated for a 100g tank which would give you a little extra filtration. I have the 305 and love it!

Aquatic products
Old 05-07-2011, 09:23 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to ejaramillo01
I also recommend you a canister. I know that extra filtration is always better, no doubt.

What I don't know is that I have read here the following: "the ideal water turn around in a tank should be 4 to 5 times per hour, in other words, for a 75G tank, we need a filter capable to pump between 300 to 375 gallons per hour. On top of this, most of the filters in the market over rate their pumping capacity. Most of them in reality move 50 to 65% of what you read on the label. In summary, if you want to select the proper filter size for a 75G tank, you should select a canister capable to pump (per the label) 550 to 650 gallons per hour....

Opinions here??
ejaramillo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecoking

The usual tropical community suspects

pleco, clown loaches, mollies, danios, red tail sharks, balas, corys, tiger barbs, planning on a full house but not too full. I'm aware of the sizes some of these will get, no worries there.
What type of pleco? Balas will also not do...
Old 05-07-2011, 09:36 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

On my 75 gallon I have a fluval 405 and a 40 gallon HOB. The HOB keeps the surface moving for me and the two of the keep the water crystal clear. And, my tank us overstocked with silver dollars, and all kinds of barbs.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet View Post
Yep, that's all there is to it and for a big tank a can is going to work better in the long run, plus you can put a spray bar on it and spread to flow across (most of) the length of the tank.
What's a spray bar ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homedog98 View Post
What type of pleco? Balas will also not do...
It's a common pleco, what do you mean balas will not do ? Are you referring to the size they will get ? I'm ok with it and when the time comes when they outgrow the tank then I'll upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fdsh5 View Post
On my 75 gallon I have a fluval 405 and a 40 gallon HOB. The HOB keeps the surface moving for me and the two of the keep the water crystal clear. And, my tank us overstocked with silver dollars, and all kinds of barbs.
So you think it important to keep the surface moving beyond just a canister ? Doesn't the canister move it enough ?

Here's an interesting question, with a canister, how does it effect the food in the water, would food get sucked up and spit back our or would it get caught in the filter like an HOB. Is the water moving a lot with a canister. I know with my HOB the food moves around.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:07 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The food will end up in the foam of the canister just like an hob. I had a dead spot on one side of my tank. That's why I put an extra filter I had laying around in. I also put a power head in but that's because my fish love to swim against it. I do not use a Bubbler in my tank so that's why I was more concerned about water movement.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:46 PM   #18

You should do a bristlenose instead of a common... Then he can live in the tank comfortably. As for the balas... They need schools, are semi-aggressive, and will he WAY to aggressive in that size tank:
Old 05-08-2011, 11:29 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecoking
What's a spray bar ?
A spray bar is just a style of attachment that goes on the end of the return from the the filter, basically a pipe with holes drilled in it . I prefer them to a normal return.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:16 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

any links to where i can get a cheap canister that will work on my 150 gallon tall tank??

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, canister, canister filter, filter, filters, hob, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com