New 75 gallon 2 hob filters vs 1 canister filter which do you use ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plecoking

Aquarium Advice Regular
Upgrading to 75 gallon from a 10 gallon.

I see often larger tanks having two hob filters but what about canisters, is the norm just one canister or two ? Is one canister enough to filter the whole tank ?

The tank has those two all glass hoods with a plastic section on the back I'm assuming for cutting areas to place filter.

Any advice would be appreciated.

What kind of fish ?

The usual tropical community suspects

pleco, clown loaches, mollies, danios, red tail sharks, balas, corys, tiger barbs, planning on a full house but not too full. I'm aware of the sizes some of these will get, no worries there.

Either way is good, it depends on what you like. HOB's work great and are easy to get to, but they clutter the tank with lots of equipment (2 HOB is what I'd do). Canisters are a bit more work to maintain, but they're out of the way and do a bang up job cleaning tanks your size (1 can is enough IMO). Whatever you decide, I'd suggest sizing the filtration beyond your tank size (ie filter for 125g, not just 75g) and you'll never have an issue.

I'd go with a canister in that size of tank, but that's just me. I just got an Eheim 2217 for my 90 and love it, Rena and Fluval are also good filters. Canisters afford a cleaner look and allot of them have spraybars / you can make one.

I agree, cannister is superior in larger tanks, period.

I have found - through trial and error - that the larger HOBs tend to get bockety and are prone to making a lot of mechanical noises, no matter how well you maintain them.

mudraker said:
I agree, cannister is superior in larger tanks, period.

I have found - through trial and error - that the larger HOBs tend to get bockety and are prone to making a lot of mechanical noises, no matter how well you maintain them.

I agree I had HOB in my 55 and I swear a quarter of an inch of water would evaporate and tons of water and mechanical noise.

They are way worth the additional initial expense in my opinion.

I have also found they are much less expensive to run in the long run and you have easier and broader options for media.

With a canister there's like 2 hoses right ? One sucks the water up and the other puts it back out. So with this all glass hood and plastic back I'd have to cut two areas where the canister hoses would go correct ?

That's pretty much it.

I'd really encourage you to go that route. The advantages are huge.

Oh yeah, and most are super quiet, especially when compared with hobs of the size for your tank.

With a canister there's like 2 hoses right ? One sucks the water up and the other puts it back out. So with this all glass hood and plastic back I'd have to cut two areas where the canister hoses would go correct ?

Yep, that's all there is to it and for a big tank a can is going to work better in the long run, plus you can put a spray bar on it and spread to flow across (most of) the length of the tank.

I'd suggest you look at the Fluval 405, it's rated for a 100g tank which would give you a little extra filtration. I have the 305 and love it!

Aquatic products

I also recommend you a canister. I know that extra filtration is always better, no doubt.

What I don't know is that I have read here the following: "the ideal water turn around in a tank should be 4 to 5 times per hour, in other words, for a 75G tank, we need a filter capable to pump between 300 to 375 gallons per hour. On top of this, most of the filters in the market over rate their pumping capacity. Most of them in reality move 50 to 65% of what you read on the label. In summary, if you want to select the proper filter size for a 75G tank, you should select a canister capable to pump (per the label) 550 to 650 gallons per hour....

Opinions here??

plecoking said:
The usual tropical community suspects

pleco, clown loaches, mollies, danios, red tail sharks, balas, corys, tiger barbs, planning on a full house but not too full. I'm aware of the sizes some of these will get, no worries there.

What type of pleco? Balas will also not do...

On my 75 gallon I have a fluval 405 and a 40 gallon HOB. The HOB keeps the surface moving for me and the two of the keep the water crystal clear. And, my tank us overstocked with silver dollars, and all kinds of barbs.

Yep, that's all there is to it and for a big tank a can is going to work better in the long run, plus you can put a spray bar on it and spread to flow across (most of) the length of the tank.

What's a spray bar ?

What type of pleco? Balas will also not do...

It's a common pleco, what do you mean balas will not do ? Are you referring to the size they will get ? I'm ok with it and when the time comes when they outgrow the tank then I'll upgrade.

On my 75 gallon I have a fluval 405 and a 40 gallon HOB. The HOB keeps the surface moving for me and the two of the keep the water crystal clear. And, my tank us overstocked with silver dollars, and all kinds of barbs.

So you think it important to keep the surface moving beyond just a canister ? Doesn't the canister move it enough ?

Here's an interesting question, with a canister, how does it effect the food in the water, would food get sucked up and spit back our or would it get caught in the filter like an HOB. Is the water moving a lot with a canister. I know with my HOB the food moves around.

The food will end up in the foam of the canister just like an hob. I had a dead spot on one side of my tank. That's why I put an extra filter I had laying around in. I also put a power head in but that's because my fish love to swim against it. I do not use a Bubbler in my tank so that's why I was more concerned about water movement.

You should do a bristlenose instead of a common... Then he can live in the tank comfortably. As for the balas... They need schools, are semi-aggressive, and will he WAY to aggressive in that size tank:

plecoking said:
What's a spray bar ?

A spray bar is just a style of attachment that goes on the end of the return from the the filter, basically a pipe with holes drilled in it . I prefer them to a normal return.

any links to where i can get a cheap canister that will work on my 150 gallon tall tank??

Back
Top Bottom