New fish owner w possible pregnant molly.....help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cnstreet1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I have a 20 gallon tank with 2 dalmatian mollies, 2 black tail platies and 2 albino cory catfish. I believe my dalmatian molly is pregnant. I have noticed over the last few days her belly is swelling and she is staying near the bottom in the corner except to feed. The male is kind of staying near her as well. I am a new fish owner and I am asking for advise.......1. How long is gestation? 2. Should I move her as the male to another tank? 3. When born I have read that my filter could suck the fry up....what should I cover the filter with? I don't even know what size fry are to know what kind of mesh would be helpful? 4. Any steps after the fry arrive that I should know?

I am just really thankful for any advise and education fellow fish lovers can provide. I want the little fry to live and I want to do it all right.

I would insert a picture but I don't know how. Thanks

If she is pregnant, you could isolate her in a breeders box. These are specially designed to allow the fry a chance to escape other fish, including the parents. Once the babies are born, you can move them to a grow out tank until they are big enough to fend for themselves. Mollies are live bearers so you don't have to worry about them laying eggs and trying to hatch them. If you you leave the mom in the tank until the babies are born, you'll most likely lost some or all of the babies to other fish and filters, so unless you don't want them, I'd recommend separating just the mom until she gives birth. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom