new! please read

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brettb21

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone, new member here... beginning by freshwater aquarium, well it's already started for the most part...wanted to get some opinions, feedback, etc

Currently have a 10 gallon tank, filter, heater to keep the temp constant at 78 and the following fish:

3 Mollies (1 Dalmatian and 2 all black)
1 small aquarium shark (White Tip Shark Catfish)
1 Green Spotted Puffer

I have done a lot of research and realize the GSP needs brackish water as it was sold freshwater which a lot of places do...so I am working on a solution to that

In the meantime I have added some aquarium salt and gotten the appropriate food (tropical fish flakes and freeze- dried bloodworms/freeze-dried shrimp for the GSP)

Thanks in Advance for feedback!

Welcome to AA! Glad you are working on getting the GSP into brackish conditions. Aquarium salt will most likely not help the GSP as brackish is a milder version of SW.

Did you cycle the tank before adding the fish? If not you will want to get a test kit. Aquaruim Pharmaceuticals makes a good master test kit, and test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Keep ammonia and nitrite under .5 ppm, perferrably 0ppm.

how do you think my assortment of fish is? I'm getting mixed opinions on leaving the GSP with the mollies as they will be eaten....and breeding between mollies?

The mollies will interbreed as they are similiar, so depending on whether that is a problem for you or not. Do you know if you have males or females or both? I would remove the GSP to a tank and make it full brackish.

We looked in to getting a GSP too, but were informed that if it dies and is not taken out within 2hrs the other fish will die too...

So we're gonna do a seperate tank for the GSP in the future and stay with our 2 neon blue dwarf gouramis, 2 sunset dwarf gouramis, Jelly Bean parrot fish, angelfish and 'painted' parrot fish... (I know sorry sorry sorry shouldn't have bought that, but newbie so found out afterwards...)

Back
Top Bottom